Drolet 1800 mantel clearance ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

turbo-power

Feb 6, 2024
South GA
I am interested in installing a drolet 1800 insert in my masonry fireplace . I currently have an Ashley hearth 1820E. After looking at clearances for the drolet it states that it should be 27 inch min from stove top to mantle. In my fireplace with the drolet it would be 22 in and I inquired with the manufacturer about installing a heat shield with air gap under the mantle and drolet said it wouldn’t matter had to be 27 in. For those that have the drolet 1800 are there any other suggestions besides a non combustible mantle or for those that have a shield how’s it working out ? Thanks in advance

Interesting to note that for the Osburn 2000 (same stove wearing the Osburn label) that there is a full description including tested clearances for installing a mantel shield. This reduces the minimum mantel clearance down to 21". Maybe call again and ask if you can order the Osburn shield. It's part # AC01317.

Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 9.04.21 AM.png

Reactions: turbo-power
Interesting to note that for the Osburn 2000 (same stove wearing the Osburn label) that there is a full description including tested clearances for installing a mantel shield. This reduces the minimum mantel clearance down to 21". Maybe call again and ask if you can order the Osburn shield. It's part # AC01317.

View attachment 325210
Thank You for that sounds like a plan . I will email Osburn and see what they say .

So I emailed Osburn and they still say no to keep clearance at 27”. So I am enclosing the email I sent and received from Osburn.
I guess I need to look at another brand that doesn’t require as much clearance. I have looked at the Regency I2450 and it is only 17” clearance which would work but does cost twice as much. Any suggestions of other medium sized insert manufacturer's with a mantle clearance of 22” or less would be appreciated.

IMG_0723.jpeg IMG_0722.png

So I decide to call SBI and spoke with a tech and I was told that the Osburn heat shield would work with the drolet 1800 insert or the Osburn 2000 insert and if I also attached a heat shield under the mantle it would work . So are there any main differences between the two different inserts as far as operation?

It’s kinda silly the different clearances for what are essentially identical units. As a self install id be tempted to get the 1800i and the heats shield. I know it’s not the letter of the law but the physics / ie safety is the same.

The main difference is the baffle construction, Drolet is vermiculite and Osburn is C-Cast. There are also trim differences and maybe blower? differences.

The True North TN20 insert has a 15" mantel clearance requirement.

Reactions: turbo-power