Drolet and myfireplaceproducts.com Customer Service Review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

check212

Jul 3, 2014
Greenville, SC
Hello all,
I purchased a drolet 1800i a few months ago and first let me say it is a great stove. I have no complaints with the stove itself. My roommate accidentally broke the glass door a couple of weeks ago, and dealing with myfireplaceproducts.com's (who I'm 99% sure is owned by Drolet) customer service has been nothing short of a nightmare. Drolet's replacement parts section lists myfireplaceproducts.com as the only way to get a replacement glass. I attempted atleast a dozen times to order the glass from their website. As a former web developer (and current software engineer), I will tell you in my professional opinion, it is the worst designed/maintained site I've encountered. 404 errors in French on the contact button and elsewhere, cant take PayPal (their only accepted form of payment). So, I emailed these people on 1/30 in the morning after calling their customer service repeatedly the previous afternoon (no closed office message just voicemail). Finally, hours later, a girl named Valerie emailed me back saying to send her my credit card details and she would order it "sometime next week". Now, my reply to this (and every email and voicemail over two days had contained) was a plea to process the order because it will be 10 degress in my town Weds, and below freezing much of the week and this was my only source of heat, and if there was a number I could contact her at because I didnt feel comfortable sending my CC info via email to a foreign country.... NO RESPONSE. Couldnt get anyone at myfireplaceproducts.com even today (if they wanted to blame New Years which isnt an excuse). So, finally I contact Drolet today to advise them of this and the need for their company to rethink recommending myfireplaceproducts.com as THE ONLY supplier of replacement glass. I get the receptionist, tell her the story... ZERO EMPATHY. She denied Drolet owned myfireplaceproducts.com but "had a directline to speak to someone" and get some glass ordered (that obviously their customers arent important enough to have). She said it came with standard shipping (no one's understanding the urgency of not wantingto be in an unheated home in 10 degree weather), I advised I needed it as soon as possible. she then says expedited shipping is $40. Now, I'm pretty much batsh!t crazy by this point, and ask her why would I pay $40 to get a product here at the same time I would have had it if it wasnt for myfireplaceproducts.com crappy CS and website (she's supposedly on her "direct line" and I ask her to ask for free overnight shipping). Anyway, she refused to ask, again, no empathy, it was just short of her telling me she didnt give a ****. Her excuse was she couldnt tell myfireplaceproducts.com to do. With no other choice, I relented. She advised I would get a confirmation email within an hour or two. Being somewhat cynical, I asked for a number to reach her at and a name. She tap danced for a while on a number to reach her at. And her name... Valerie! Unless Valerie is a pretty common name in Quebec Im pretty sure it was the same girl answering emails for myfireplaceproducts.com's emails! And guess who still hasnt gotten a confirmation email. In conclusion, Drolet may make great stoves but you better pray you dont have to deal with their customer service. PS Drolet and Quebec... France had their chance at global hegdgemony... they lost... England and the US won. Give up that ghost and use English like the rest of the world does when conducting business.

Hmm, I just googled Drolet parts, there were a handful of different places claiming to have glass for that stove. Anyways, I'd just source glass at a local glass shop. Any full service shop should be able to get (usually next day or maybe even in stock) and cut high temp "glass " (actually ceramic) for you. Much easier, quicker and probably cheaper than the mess you just went through!
Hope it works out for ya!

If you put as much effort into searching for another source for glass as you did into trying to make an apparently inept company come through for you, you could probably find a local glass shop to cut you a new piece of ceramic "glass" to fit the stove. If all else fails a local metal shop could cut a piece of steel to fit until glass comes in.

Crappy customer service runs rampant everywhere, all you can do is find a way to circumvent it and get it done yourself.

Reactions: brenndatomu
the only local company that sells high temp glass, will cut to the desired length and height but wont cut to the width I need.

Warminnewhampshire. The post was meant as a review of Drolet for potential buyers to be able to weigh their options, not a solicitation of snarky comments. Id rather not put anything on the stove that wasnt blessed by the manufacter. If theyre this sorry, they would weasel out of a warranty at any perceived opportunity.

the only local company that sells high temp glass, will cut to the desired length and height but wont cut to the width I need.

Warminnewhampshire. The post was meant as a review of Drolet for potential buyers to be able to weigh their options, not a solicitation of snarky comments. Id rather not put anything on the stove that wasnt blessed by the manufacter. If theyre this sorry, they would weasel out of a warranty at any perceived opportunity.

There is a separate section of the forum for stove reviews.
The fact that I gave the same advice as begreen did and was called "snarky" while he was was thanked really makes me wonder who the inept one is in your "dilemma".

Good luck!

I guess because begreen doesnt get off on being a keyboard cowboy. It's not what you say, as much as how you say it. K, interwebz tough guy?

@check212: I don't appreciate you hurting our site here by posting poorly written rants that bash a culture. I don't like that you refer to a women as "the girl", and I don't like you bashing Canadian, French-speaking people. Perhaps you should stick to communicating with computers and not people. Your room mate broke your glass- not the French.

Try using paragraphs.

Reactions: claydogg84
you dont appreciate something a stranger said online. the internet is never lacking in butthurt grammar nazi trolls. delete the thread and ban me at you leisure if it pleases you.

Status
Not open for further replies.