Drolet Door Latch Adjustment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MagdalenaP

Burning Hunk
Nov 10, 2018
Tilbury, ON
Hey All!

It's been a year since purchasing my Drolet Legend. The door doesn't fit as tight as when new. I can see on the manual, it looks pretty simple to adjust, but wondering if anyone has had issues with it? Take pliers, remove pin, turn handle, put pin back. I swear I read somewhere on here that someone broke the pin. Wondering if I should order the part before even touching it?

Any chance there's a video out there of this being done?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: rtrev37
Is the door gasket still sealing? If so, maybe let it be.

Reactions: KindredSpiritzz
My Myriad 1 has the same latch mechanism. I buggered up the split pin, replaced it with a small cotter pin. So far so good.

I have the osburn 2300.same pin,I pulled mine out with vise grips.no issues.maybe order a couple pins from sbi.only a dollar each

Looking at the manual again, which pin is it that I'm pulling out? I thought the green, but clearly the manual is stating the blue...
pin.jpg

pin.jpg

Yes blue one.might be a tad tight.pull it straight out

Yes blue one.might be a tad tight.pull it straight out

Thank you! Glad I took another look at it. Is there something I could apply before taking it out so that it will come out easier? I'm assuming wd-40 on a wood stove is a huge no no lol.

Thank you! Glad I took another look at it. Is there something I could apply before taking it out so that it will come out easier? I'm assuming wd-40 on a wood stove is a huge no no lol.
A shot of wd would not hurt but I don't think you need it.pull it straight out.

My Austral has the same design and i have the same issues. Adjusting the handle by taking the pin out and rotating the handle didnt help much, made it too tight and then the handle sits at a weird angle i didnt like. The gasket is the problem, it gets mashed down after awhile and then starts feeling loose when you close it. You can kinda pick at the gasket and fluff it out again but it'll get mashed down again soon afterwards. I finally just left mine loose. Doesnt seem to affect the store performance and air doesnt seem to be leaking in so i just left it.
Replacing the gasket is probably the best solution.
The blue pin comes out, the handle is rotated one full turn and the pin put back in place and then it'll probably be a little to snug for your liking. Test before you put the pin back in and i believe the handle is rotated counter clockwise if i remember correctly

Reactions: MagdalenaP
it does not work.....i pulled and pulled and did a few wiggles and rain dance and the darn things has not moved......
I had a lot of trouble with mine too. Vise grips and determination lol twist the pin back and forth, while at the same time apply pressure to "wobble" it loose. I mangled the pin, but the part that goes back in the hole was fine. Use antiseizee compound to make it easier next time

I had a lot of trouble with mine too. Vise grips and determination lol twist the pin back and forth, while at the same time apply pressure to "wobble" it loose. I mangled the pin, but the part that goes back in the hole was fine. Use antiseizee compound to make it easier next time

Thank you. Will try, since I did not use a vise grip on the first round. Definitely will try that antiseizee compound

Reactions: Sailrmike
Hey All!

It's been a year since purchasing my Drolet Legend. The door doesn't fit as tight as when new. I can see on the manual, it looks pretty simple to adjust, but wondering if anyone has had issues with it? Take pliers, remove pin, turn handle, put pin back. I swear I read somewhere on here that someone broke the pin. Wondering if I should order the part before even touching it?

Any chance there's a video out there of this being done?

Thanks in advance.
When the stove is cold, pinch the gasket between your thumb and index finger around the entire door to make it roundish again. I am on year 5, and every month or so during burning season, I do this. It takes 2-3 minutes, and your index finger and thumb get a little ashy, but the door is tight after. No reason to mess with the hinge adjustment.

I think some refer to the procedure as "fluffing" the gasket. Just routine stove maintenance.

if the metal is siezed or stuck, try tapping it lightly with a small hammer / metal object to get it to "ring" (vibrate a lot) to loosen it? just an idea ! :D ive done this with a lot of rusted metal things, makes it easier to get it apart

Can't believe 7 years since I was here. Drolet Legend (first model DB03070) working great but wood burning faster, flame doesn't turn blue when closed up, and wondered if door gasket needs replacing.. it does. Manual says change it every year, but will check with paper test (dollar bill) - shouldn't be loose w/door latched. Bad all across top - the rest not so bad... wondering if I didn't warp the door a bit at top with a couple "too hot" fires. Tried pinching gasket with wide welding visegrips, but doesn't help enough even for temporary fix (put folded/layered tinfoil in at top for now to see if can get blue flame).

Legend 1 manual doesn't say how to adjust the door (thanks for Legend 3 link), but pulling it closed ~1mm with 1 turn (1 thread) CCW is a lot - it doesn't budge at all when I push on it. As other poster said, correct fix is new gasket.

My manual doesn't have gasket in parts list. Going to Drolet site, Legend 1 uses AC06100 (1/4" x 1/2" x 8 ft), Legend 2 uses 1/2" round x 8 ft (AC06000) , and Legend 3 uses 5/8" round x 8 ft (AC06500).

Just wanted to find out if anyone's familiar with this gasket, and maybe using a 3/8" round instead (flattened, stuffed in...). The correct part is available, but think the 1/4" width is going to flatten fairly quick, though I got good use out of this one. Surprised Drolet changed a basic part so much between model revisions. Looking forward to wood lasting longer and burning cleaner/hotter with a new gasket.

Got a LOT of pin oak this year after cutting back most of a 70' tree (inside of branches rotting/weeping and hanging over houses).