Drolet Eco 45 multiple issues!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

melaniec1010

Feb 15, 2016
ottawa ontario
Good evening! I am looking for guidance or advice for our eco 45 pellet stove.
It came with the house we bought and in the last four years it has been nothing but headache after headache.

Some history - the convex engine was replaced two years ago. The stove is vented with a 6ft pipe outside. It is cleane daily since the burn pot over flows every day and heavy cleaninh three to four times a month by removing all panels and cleaning all chambers. There are two gaskets on burn pot and we just replaced the one on the blower/exchanger. We burn northern brand hardwood. Since we've lived here the stove always runs it's ignition cycle twice.it fills the pot, lights, burns down then does this again before the blower will start up.

Current issue started with major soot (think black opaque) on glass and the burn pot overflowin after 2 to 3 hours. We were getting error codes L E and P. Cleaning and reset worked for two hours or so before the burn pot overflows and we get an error. Therw would also be smoke spilling into the room. From this site we changed the blower gasket and another good cleaning. Chimney was cleaned almost 8 times this year. After putting it all togerther it now won't ignite at all with error L. Reset doesn't solve it.we haven't had any ignitor issues and wiring looks.ok.

This stove has been a nightmare and no one wants to service since it's a box Store brand :( at my wits end after 4 years of.issues!

Surprised no one has replied yet. Do you have a manual and /or definition the codes.. Can you manually start it with gel just to get it going ??

We do have the manual and have the codes..appears based on talking to Drolet this morning the ignitor is dead or the fuse .. or both..i feel this is coincidence since all the other codes P and E we had before this have no relation to the ignition. Even if we get it going theres still the issue of the burn pot overflowing after 2 to 3 hrs and the smoke backing up into the house.

Smoke, black soot and overflowing firepot are all pointing to a bad combustion. If everything is clean, then I'd think something else is reducing the airflow or the combustion fan speed is not right. Or are the pellets damp?

I can't offer more help. Drolet is not only a big store brand. Maybe the manufacturer could offer some help. I'm always puzzled by local vendors that won't take our money to service our stuff, because it's a brand they don't sell!

The first issue and the main one seems to be an ignition problem. The ignitor is actually a coil inside a tube that heats most of its length,which is inserted into the tube in the stove, the combined heat in that tube that extends into the burn pot should glow red after a minute or so once activated by the timing cycle. The burn pot MUST be in proper position, because it fits awkwardly at times and can seem in place when it is not. If the ignitor is not , for some reason who knows why, not extended as far as possible without interference to the burn pot, you have less fire power. A weak ignitor could be a problem also but I'm not aware of this happening , although it could be shorted internally and not heating all the way to it's length.
The glass will soot up, especially with low flow. This is usually not an issue with this stove. Not having a high enough stack for exhaust may be a culprit. My combex has been problem free. Not sure why it would burn out.

Status
Not open for further replies.