Drolet Jurassien

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bodhran

Burning Hunk
Feb 7, 2010
Newfoundland Canada
I've only seen one review about this wood stove. Are they any good? I'm looking at one for $1199 CDN from Costco. Been looking at Jotul cast iron too but the price is way more than I could afford...close to $4000.

Reactions: ill_make_you_famous
1.45 cubic foot is a really, really small firebox. What are your heating requirements for a stove?

1.45 cubic foot is a really, really small firebox. What are your heating requirements for a stove?
I am in a 1100 sq foot open concept bungalow. My basement apt is rented and with the electric heat on downstairs it only goes down to about 53F on the main.

Won't heat ya overnight but will be good for around three or four hours. Just like my Jotul F3 does with about the same size firebox. Residual heat declining for another couple of hours. I used the F3 in a basement that is 1,000 sq. feet but it didn't have insulated walls so the only comparables are the burn and heat life time of the stove.

This is a couple of pics of my house.

Attachments

• unnamed (9).jpg
    unnamed (9).jpg
    42 KB · Views: 294
  • unnamed (10).jpg
    unnamed (10).jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 289
Thank you for the replies. I was looking at the F3 but it's over $3000 here.

No way I would pay three grand for an F3. Drolet has a bunch of quality stoves in the $1,000 to $2,000 US range that will do a great job for you. For that space and your climate I would be looking in the 2 cubic foot firebox range.

Agree with Brother Bart, the Jurassien will give you a short heat burst for a few hours but then you will have to reload. Besides the Drolet stoves you could also look for a Pacific Energy True North. ~2 cu ft firebox, Canadian company, should retail in the same prices range as the Drolets.

Agree with these guys- The F3 here is 1859 MSRP (painted black). We sell it for 1669. I'd suggest the PE or Enviro stoves, both are solid heaters, steel designs. The Jurassien we also sell, for 1259, but the firebox is small. If Osburns are available, they're a nice stove line too. Drolet's other steel stoves are probably better values. Take care.

Thanks again for all the replies. I went from a fireplace insert( closed off now in the pic) and bought a Timberwolf that was rated for 3500 sq feet. Too big for my place. I get a little bit impulsive when it comes to wood and wood stoves. I'm sure you all understand. ;)

Nice room, I would consider a next size up stove, something like a 2cu ft box.

Agreed, if on a budget consider an Englander 13NC or a Pacific Energy True North TN19 for under $1K.

Another pretty good heater is another SBI stove, the Century FW2700. It also retails for under 1K, the firebox is around 2CF too, but for the money, I agree with BG, the PE or Englander would probably be good choices.

Note that the Englander has higher clearance requirements and a stiff hearth insulation spec.

I have the drolet classic and love it. Im from Ontario Canada . I paid 899 for it. well worth the money very efficient burner as well. I say go for the drolet lol bodhran

I was just looking at the Drolet optima wood stove. $1249 at Home hardware and $899 online @ My fireplace.com In Quebec.

We are buying the drolet decor ,optima by another name .but it only has a 5 to 6 hour burn time .i'm only heating 400 sqft might be a bit quick on the burn for you.

I ordered the Drolet Jurassien wood stove. I really don't like it too hot in the house and don't have to worry about anyone else feeling cold as I live alone. Putting a few junks in every now and then will give me something to look forward to.

Nice looking stove, I looked it up at the Drolet website, 1st time seeing there products, nice site, nice products. Good luck and post some pics of that baby installed and burning

Wood stove is being delivered this afternoon :D

Made it to the driveway...so far so good.

first fire

Attachments

• IMG_2807.JPG
    IMG_2807.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 314
I've learned a couple of things about the new Drolet Jurassien. The casting is made in France and the same design is used as a coal stove in Europe. There is a large removable top piece of cast iron, but this serves no purpose on the wood burning stove, as the coal stove loads from the top, so Drolet just left it as is.

I am really interested how this stove proforms for you, I love the looks and since I maybe in the market for a 2nd stove due to an addition next year, this might make the list.

Awesome stove with the sideways flames. How do you keep the wood up there? Does Drolet provide some special firewood glue? ;lol

Reactions: bodhran
Status
Not open for further replies.