Drolet Legend

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
Just saw this stove at my Farm and Home Supply store. I had to look it up online for better specs than were listed. I know it's not the biggest stove out there, but dang that thing looked freaking huge. I think I'm seeing online that it's 3.1cu ft.

What's a good price for that stove? Does anyone have any information besides specs regarding comparisons with Englander NC30?

I would figure that twelve or thirteen hundred would be a good price since it includes a blower and side heat shields that are extra for a 30-NC. And the stainless baffle is nice.

Thanks, BB. I'm not sure how much it was, but I think it was more than that, like 1600. I could be totally off, though, so I'll have to double check.

If I read the Drolet site correctly the Legend and the Baltic are two versions of the same stove with the legs/ash pan style being the difference.

If I could right now I would be swapping out my Drolet Jasper for either of these stoves.

The shielding is a huge plus when dealing with an alcove or other tighter installations.

I cannot imagine having 3 plus cubic feet of firebox..... I know I know ... Before the Blaze King crowd jumps on me I know that 3.1 is still relatively small.

If my house and its layout could handle a BK I would seriously consider it.

I have the Drolet Astral, basicallt the same stove , but ''cheaper'', no nice trim, no good looking cast legs, but the same exact fire box. I paid 925$ last fall on sale with the blower. I like the stove, but it's a little to big for me for now as I am staying in my basement while we're finishing the house. And sometime I get back smoke, but I think this is due to my house being too tigh with no air exchanger yet.

But overall I love this stove. What I like the most id filling it up to the top before going to bed and looking at the fire going before I close the draft, It really look like hell in there !!

Den said:
Danno77 said:
Thanks, BB. I'm not sure how much it was, but I think it was more than that, like 1600. I could be totally off, though, so I'll have to double check.
Northern Tool has it for $1200. Blower optional. . .$120. Doesn't mention heat shield.
Den, I'm not seeing it there, they do have an HT-2000 which looks like it might even be a more efficient stove with a similar sized firebox. Looks like the HT-2000 also has a secondary burn, and I'm not seeing that on the Legend's specs. That HT-2000 might be something special, though, so I appreciate you sending me to NT.

Danno77 said:
Den said:
Danno77 said:
Northern Tool has it for $1200. Blower optional. . .$120. Doesn't mention heat shield.
Den, I'm not seeing it there, they do have an HT-2000 which looks like it might even be a more efficient stove with a similar sized firebox. Looks like the HT-2000 also has a secondary burn, and I'm not seeing that on the Legend's specs. That HT-2000 might be something special, though, so I appreciate you sending me to NT.
I'm not seeing the Legend either. Oops! I claim sleepiness. :) The Legend is listed among the EPA-certified stoves on the Dr0let site. It would pretty much have to have secondary burn to be clean enough for the EPA. Don't buy anything non-EPA. The HT-2000 looks like a monster. Firebox is 10% wider than the Legend's...

. . .Legend firebox = 18.25 x 20.25". HT-2000 = 18.0 x 22.5". The extra 2" might come in handy for longer logs, or for loading 10% more wood in north-south fashion(assuming the firebox heights are =, because they are not listed.) Stainless baffle is not listed for the HT, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have one. I'd call Dr0let and ask about the baffle and firebox height. Other than that, the HT might be a Legend with a heat exchanger box welded on the back, which I would think would make the blower more effective. The problem with the HT-2000 is that nobody on hearth.com has tested it. There's 1 thread on it, but no owners. Maybe resurrect that thread and ask if anyone has an HT-2000 now. -- More searching revealed 1 review. Very negative, but mostly about the ash drawer, which should probably be bolted shut on most stoves. Also complains about ~ "not being able to control the fire by shutting down tight." True for any EPA stove except catalytics. (p.s. Northern will ship to your local store for free.)

Just bought this very stove yesterday at a local farm store for $799 on sale. ( with blower and side shields) Normal price $859. All the research I did came back with with good reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.