1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Drolet Probe Thermometer

Post in 'The Gear' started by burnt03, Sep 10, 2012.

1. burnt03

burnt03 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Peachland, BC, Canada
    Getting ready for my first season of burning....

Have double walled stove pipe, is this thermometer ok? I guess you just drill a small hole in the pipe and then a magnet holds it tight and seals it?

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/i...n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I5541069?Ntt=stove thermometer

Was planning on using an IR thermometer for the stove top as well.

What sort of temps should I be seeing on the probe and stovetop?

Thanks!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I have a Condar probe thermometer . . . works pretty much on the same principle. Drill one hole with one sized drill bit . . . drill another hole in the same spot with a different sized drill bit. Magnet holds the whole she-bang together.

Some folks report good results with probe thermometers . . . others not so much. I've been pretty happy with my probe thermometer.

Like you . . . coupled with a IR thermometer I feel as though I have a pretty good handle on where the stove is in terms of temps . . . and where it is heading.
  3. CaddyUser

CaddyUser Member

Loc:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    I have an SBI thermometer, which is the same as the Drolet (SBI makes Drolet anyhow, as I recall). As Jake said, the install is exactly as he said. It works just great with double-wall pipe. Granted, I'm running a Caddy furnace, but the stack temp at 2' from the furnace exit usually runs at about 450F, which is in the lower end of the 'safe range'.