1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Drolet vs. Enerzone vs. Osburn, etc.

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by WriteNoob, Dec 1, 2013.

1. WriteNoob

WriteNoob Member

Loc:
    Eau Claire, Wisconsin
    I'm new here, and haven't even got s stove, yet. Haven't burned wood for a few decades. I'm pretty set on a Drolet or sister brand stove, but I'm wondering; is there any material or quality differences between the same basic stove, in these brands, or are we just talking frills?

Also, if the stainless baffle in the Myriad/Austral is welded in, are these expected to last the life of the stove? Just watched a YT vid of the replacement of a Pacific Energy stainless baffle. It looked like an antitank missile had been mistaken for well seasoned oak. Burned through and warped as all get-out.

Thanks, I'm advance, for any help offered. I'm researching while building a decent hearth and getting everything ready. One last thing. Are their certain seasons in which stores have sales on stoves? Menards, Fleet Farm/Farm and Fleet are my three closest.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I suspect they are all the same firebox. I personally would not want a welded secondary tube system. Are you sure about that? If so, it would be a compelling reason to look at the Osburn or Enerzone for this difference.

I saw the video on the PE baffle and was thinking how possibly did this person abuse it so badly? That took some seriously overfiring temps or salt-water driftwood burning to do that.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  3. stoveguy13

stoveguy13 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CT
    From the standpoint of how they are made they all use a unibody firebox after that things start to change the metal thickness is greater on enerzone and osburn the osburn and enerzone also use a c-cast baffle vs the vermiculite you get in the drolet they also use the high density bricks in the osburn and enezone. You will also want to consider if you think you will need field support typically Drolet dealers don't have techs that can come out but you can contact SBI direct for support. But in many cases it is helpful to have a good dealer.
  4. mj5001

mj5001 Member

Loc:
    United States
    My Drolet Eldorado has 5/16 steel on top plate and way better that the other stoves at Menards -- built like a tank.
  5. WriteNoob

WriteNoob Member

Loc:
    Eau Claire, Wisconsin
    Thanks for the input, guys. Been lurking for a few weeks, and this is really an awesome place, you've got here. Been spending hours and hours just pouring over old posts. Weird, huh?

Mike
  6. WriteNoob

WriteNoob Member

Loc:
    Eau Claire, Wisconsin
    From what I can gather, the Myriad/Austral has a stainless baffle shelf that also is shaped and drilled to act as the secondary air input, as well. It was (I think) an old post, here, that said it was welded in. Can't remember if it was the factory guy (cool avatar, btw, if he happens to come across this), but before I buy the stove, I'll need some kind of confirmation that it's either not welded, or that its covered under the limited lifetime warrantee. I'm guessing that I'll never need it, since I won't be smelting anything in my stove. That's about the only way I can see getting 304 stainless hot enough to end up like the one in the vid. I actually used to do a little blacksmithing, as a hobby, and none of the stainless parts in my gas forge ever ended up like that.
  7. wood4free

wood4free Member

Loc:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I suggest you contact Hearth member FyreBug. He works for SBI and can probably answer your specific questions regarding brand differences.
  8. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    They don't sell a replacement baffle, so that should be a clue.
  9. jatoxico

jatoxico Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island NY
    That's how it starts Mike, that's how it starts...;lol
  10. stoveguy13

stoveguy13 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CT
    The secondary air manifold are welded in place the drolet warranty only covers the tubes for five years and the firebox welds for lifetime on the osburn and enerzone both will be covered for lifetime.
  11. simple.serf

simple.serf Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sherman, NY
    The warranty was the reason we went with our Enerzone. Lifetime against cracks. Thus far, I have had very good support from both my dealer and from SBI.
  12. WriteNoob

WriteNoob Member

Loc:
    Eau Claire, Wisconsin
    Thanks, again, for all the help, everyone. Problem is, now that I've done some serious digging, looking for info on the Drolet Austral, I've listened to all of you extolling the virtues of all these other types and brands. Finding that I can't stop weighing pros and cons. This may take awhile. Dang it all, methinks I've gone and caught the bug. Oh well, guess I might as well go with it.

;) If my wife (thinks we're getting something small and cute to watch, like TV) asks about all of the cordwood accumulating in the back yard, I'm blaming you guys. ;)
    Swedishchef and osagebow like this.
  13. aansorge

aansorge Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Minnesota
    Good that you're getting wood already...this is key...get it dry. Avoid oak for now. Spend your time on ash,cherry, or especially standing dead elm whose bark has fallen off. That stuff is often very low in moisture content.
  14. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine

Hehheh . . . we've all been there. Seemed like I would never be able to read enough posts on the subject.
  15. KindredSpiritzz

KindredSpiritzz Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    appleton, wi
    usually in the fall these stores put their stoves on sale, Oct-Nov sometime.
  16. tekguy

tekguy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    west mass
    i have a myriad and for the money, its a very nice unit, well built and the baffle looks robust..
    the austral, myriad, baltic and legend are all the same firebox if I am correct -basically same stove with different legs/base