Drooling over Drolet 1800 trio-a few questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

excessads

Burning Hunk
Feb 16, 2016
Garden State
Hi all: Newbie here been lurking around for a few months, really enjoy this site with all the invaluable info. Have my eyes set on the 1800 Trio, which comes with the Vortex liner, cap, faceplate. One local reputable installer mentioned they would only install preinsulated liner and cap for $1200 + 250 installation. From those of you used Vortex liner before, is it fairly easy to wrap insulation material on the liner and stay put without major issue? How is the quality of the Vortex liner like?

In addition, one option being offered from the website I am buying from has an option of liner fastening system for about $80, would I be needing it, or can the installer should be able to connect the wood stove insert and liner without issue?

Welcome. Do you have a link? The Trio seems to be discontinued on several sites.

The installer price sounds pretty good for an insulated liner. Make sure the chimney is cleaned first. Is that included in the installation price? The kit also looks like a good savings and price. Make sure the top plate is large enough to fit the tile liner. You will still need to have the chimney cleaned and an insulation blanket kit for the liner. Is there room for the insulation blanket? What size is the clay tile liner?

The installer price sounds pretty good for an insulated liner. Make sure the chimney is cleaned first. Is that included in the installation price? The kit also looks like a good savings and price. Make sure the top plate is large enough to fit the tile liner. You will still need to have the chimney cleaned and an insulation blanket kit for the liner. Is there room for the insulation blanket? What size is the clay tile liner?

The chimney was cleaned before but used twice w green wood. Apparently the first guy didn't do a good enough job, seems to be some soot packed behind the damper and we can smell it back drafting. I will certainly ask them to clean again. I don't know about the size of the existing clay tile liner, but that's an excellent question which I need to know to choose between preinsulated vs. Kit+wrap. I will find out today.

Thank you!

I bought the trio from northern tool last fall. after the shipping fees it was like $1550 deliverd if I recall correctly.

I installed it myself, I have never installed or used any stove or liner before, BUT! Oh man do I love this thing. im comparing it to nothing, but its so awesome, hot, great. 1800sq ft home

The vortex liner seemed great to me, its pretty stiff. I did not need any fastening system. It came with the top plate w clamp...did the job just fine.

My flu is 18ft long. 1/2 of that is "indoors" sort of, as the chimney itself is inside the garage. So I decided not to insulate the liner. no problems so far, but I have not looked for creosote yet.

I did decide to buy a 12inch solid pipe to extend the cap, and I bought a new cap which has a screen. We had a bird problem in the past.

I bought the trio from northern tool last fall. after the shipping fees it was like $1550 deliverd if I recall correctly.

I installed it myself, I have never installed or used any stove or liner before, BUT! Oh man do I love this thing. im comparing it to nothing, but its so awesome, hot, great. 1800sq ft home

The vortex liner seemed great to me, its pretty stiff. I did not need any fastening system. It came with the top plate w clamp...did the job just fine.

My flu is 18ft long. 1/2 of that is "indoors" sort of, as the chimney itself is inside the garage. So I decided not to insulate the liner. no problems so far, but I have not looked for creosote yet.

I did decide to buy a 12inch solid pipe to extend the cap, and I bought a new cap which has a screen. We had a bird problem in the past.

CTSWF: thanks for the positive feedback. I am glad it works out well for you. I was seriously looking forward to order the trio, one contractor swing by and tell me my wooden mantel is too close to the 1800i. As per the manual (which I read and triple measured), the front width of the 1800 is 26" wide, with 12" clearance on each end from the nearest wooden trim, which is perfect (50" width x 38" height for brickface). The unit's height is about 21-3/8"
with the heat shield I have about 16" clearance which should be fine. But he said he wouldn't trust the heat shield even with 27" clearance to the wooden mantel which is 8" wide. Am I missing something?

Depending on the design, a heat shield could be attached on spacers to the underside of the mantel.

I am at the mercy of the installers. Both of them would not touch the Drolet. Regardless, I found the Century CW2500 should fit well. The liner comes with the deal: http://www.myfireplaceproducts.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=CB00019&Lang=EN is 3 feet shorter length of the chimney. Can I have a 3 ft straight pipe connected to end of the liner to the cap, anyone foresee safety/performance issue by doing so? The liner will be insulated.

Don't cheap out on the liner, get a couple feet extra, when you sweep it and catch that coupler you will be cussing yourself for going cheap. Remember it has to be stainless the whole way.
Mellow: gotcha, guess I can get longer one and had them trimmed it. On another note, should I get presinsulated liner or have them wrapped it, I think the price turns out to be pretty much the same.

Hi all: Newbie here been lurking around for a few months, really enjoy this site with all the invaluable info. Have my eyes set on the 1800 Trio, which comes with the Vortex liner, cap, faceplate. One local reputable installer mentioned they would only install preinsulated liner and cap for $1200 + 250 installation. From those of you used Vortex liner before, is it fairly easy to wrap insulation material on the liner and stay put without major issue? How is the quality of the Vortex liner like?

In addition, one option being offered from the website I am buying from has an option of liner fastening system for about $80, would I be needing it, or can the installer should be able to connect the wood stove insert and liner without issue?
I went with a very close first SBI cousin to the Drolet from the same web store a few months ago, and it came with the same chimney liner (Vortex) set-up. I suspect the liner is made by Olympia, based on something I read about a partnership between SBI and Olympia that I found during my research.

I bought the insulation separate, it was a snap to apply the insulation blanket and stayed stuck to the liner all the way down. If I had to do it over again, I would buy the liner fastening system that you referred to, even though $80 seemed steep at the time (now it seems well worth it). Unless you have lots of space to work with above the stove when it is in the fireplace, it is a real pain to fasten the appliance connector to the top of the stove with three screws. I would also have bought a different appliance connector, one with flexibility that would have made the connection at the bottom much easier.

I got a couple of quotes to install it that were in the same range as yours. I just didn't like what I was hearing from the installers (based upon my reading here), and so I did it myself. If you don't have a extremely strong urge to do it yourself, $1,500 is cheap for the effort involved, as long as you feel good about the people doing it.

And lastly, I love the stove! Seems like really good quality (even if the price had been much higher), and I have had a good customer service experience. Count this as an enthusiastic SBI endorsement!

If you have any additional questions, I'd be happy to share more with you as a recent buyer/installer of practically the same set up that you are considering.

Last edited:
I bought the insulation separate, it was a snap to apply the insulation blanket and stayed stuck to the liner all the way down. If I had to do it over again, I would buy the liner fastening system that you referred to, even though $80 seemed steep at the time (now it seems well worth it). Unless you have lots of space to work with above the stove when it is in the fireplace, it is a real pain to fasten the appliance connector to the top of the stove with three screws. I would also have bought a different appliance connector, one with flexibility that would have made the connection at the bottom much easier.

I got a couple of quotes to install it that were in the same range as yours. I just didn't like what I was hearing from the installers (based upon my reading here), and so I did it myself. If you don't have a extremely strong urge to do it yourself, $1,500 is cheap for the effort involved, as long as you feel good about the people doing it.

If you have any additional questions, I'd be happy to share more with you as a recent buyer/installer of practically the same set up that you are considering.

Thanks so much for the positive review. Both installers were trying to sell me inserts~3x more expensive than the 1800 or CW2500. Based on the amount of reviews of the SBI models (Drolets or Century), they all look pretty good to me for the price! I won't be able to do the install myself, and will get the installer to do it. I will get the connector.

Last edited:
Anyone knows whether CW2500 unit comes with a block off plate? If not, where can I get it? and Roxul where to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.