Dropped a Var in the back yard.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SKIN052

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2008
Appleton, Newfoundland
At least that's what the locals call it, that or Fir. Very light wood, can burn it right away if the bark is peeled off, excellent kindling. Anyway this is the last of them in my yard, only Birch left standing. Took the opportunity to take a pic. Then got bored and made a Bird house for the kid, lol.

DSCF2054.jpg

DSCF2051.jpg

I've got hundreds of Balsam Fir. Sticky pitch bubbles - gotta wear gloves. Very soft wood - dries fast, as you said.
I'm going to use some to build a timber frame garage next year. They are plentiful on my 6 acres, and grow straight.
They are easy to peel the bark from when green - it just rolls off with a flat screwdriver
Do you have luck with your bird houses? I don't seem to get any inhabitants in mine.
Happy burning!

Looks like what I think is Spruce, that I have all over the property.
I hate cutting it, but it makes nice shoulder season fires. Good kindling, even as rounds! :lol:
I've got about a 1/3 cord in the shed that I cut up this past spring. It's been dry for a while.

SKIN052 said:
At least that's what the locals call it, that or Fir. Very light wood, can burn it right away if the bark is peeled off, excellent kindling. Anyway this is the last of them in my yard, only Birch left standing. Took the opportunity to take a pic. Then got bored and made a Bird house for the kid, lol.

Will your kid fit in the house? ;) I'd stick with the traditional tree fort . . . ;)

Fir . . . I burn fir . . . but only if it's in my way . . . good for kindling and shoulder season fires . . . around here most folks cut fir for pulp or for lumber.

firefighterjake said:
SKIN052 said:

Will your kid fit in the house? ;) I'd stick with the traditional tree fort . . . ;)

Fir . . . I burn fir . . . but only if it's in my way . . . good for kindling and shoulder season fires . . . around here most folks cut fir for pulp or for lumber.
Done. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/56914/

SKIN052 said:
firefighterjake said:
SKIN052 said:

Done. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/56914/

Oh yeah . . . how could I forget . . . a very cool tree fort!

Status
Not open for further replies.