1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Drove the new Chevy Cruze diesel yesterday

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by begreen, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    Picture didn't work for me but you make a great point. With cheaper engine, cheaper fuel, quieter engine, manual trans availability, and nearly the same mpg I think it wise to consider the gas along with the diesel.

In researching the various consumer outlets for the diesel cruze none of them mention a high noise level. They all gripe about no manual trans option and no wagon option.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. 343amc

343amc Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West Michigan
    I fixed the picture. Not sure what happened there but I did something wrong.

I like the HP and torque numbers for the diesel. The 1.4L gas engine could use a bit more grunt to it, but it is what it is - an economy car, so I don't expect to be passing cars while going up hills with the AC blowing on max. I hope for GM's sake that the small diesel works out well for them. I'm sure I'm not the only person in the US that immediately thinks of the 5.7 liter diesel when they hear "GM" and "diesel" in the same sentence. A lot has changed in 30 years though.
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Car reviews often tend to be on the bland side. I like truth about cars.com for more objective reports. In all of the reviews I have read they only mention that the diesel Cruze has extra sound insulation. It works, going downhill the car is super quiet. But open the windows for normal driving and there is no mistaking that this is a diesel. There is a good looking wagon variant sold in Europe. That would be a smart move if they sold it here.