Drunken firestarters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pen, how long do these superpistaches stay lit?

8-9 mins or so. Didn't time it too closely.

I think next time I'll mix some lint in with them.

pen

My aunt makes the egg carton ones every year...she likes it as a project she can do with the grandkids. I give her cherry, alder and cedar sawdust.

I was given 10 of the Duraflame 6lbs logs by a friend. I thought I might try and cut them into small bits and put them into a bag of alder sawdust
so it wouldnt be so sticky. Should make it easier to light as well....

Reactions: ScotO
I do the old egg carton, lint and wax trick. I use broken crayons--with a couple little kids running around, I seem to have an endless supply of all three materials.
I tried the lint trick. I dont' recommend it, since my bellybutton suffered third degree burns.....

Reactions: firebroad
Is it ok to be using the brand "StaterLogg" firestarters in my woodstove? I've been using these for a few years in my old stove but if it's not good for your stove I don't want to mess up my new fireview.
IMG_1713.JPG

Is it ok to be using the brand "StaterLogg" firestarters in my woodstove? I've been using these for a few years in my old stove but if it's not good for your stove I don't want to mess up my new fireview.
View attachment 74534

Used in moderation, I doubt it'd cause an issue unless there was a warning on them stating that it is not safe for catalysts or some such thing.

In the future, I'd recommend super cedars if you are looking to try something different or don't feel like messing around with making your own. I've never tried that StarterLogg brand, but I know a few others that I've played with smelled of petro/kero/something unpleasant. Super Cedars could be placed in your dresser drawers they are such a clean product.

pen

Used in moderation, I doubt it'd cause an issue unless there was a warning on them stating that it is not safe for catalysts or some such thing.

In the future, I'd recommend super cedars if you are looking to try something different or don't feel like messing around with making your own. I've never tried that StarterLogg brand, but I know a few others that I've played with smelled of petro/kero/something unpleasant. Super Cedars could be placed in your dresser drawers they are such a clean product.

pen
Yeah someone mentioned super cedars in this thread, I bookmarked their website so I guess I'll give them a try.

Sometimes it seems as though this thread title could serve as an alternate name for Hearth.com. ::P

:) I caught that! :)

This weekend is "The Weekend" to make my fire starters for the season. My process is:

1. Collect as many old candles as possible (on the cheapo, of course).

2. Gather up as many of those 10 cent muffin tins I can find at rummage sales (the kind that hold 12 muffins make the process go faster). Doesn't anyone make homemade muffins anymore???

3. Pull out the 33 gallon garbage bag of the 'wood noodles' that I saved from 3 years ago when I had oversized maple rounds that were noodled before splitting.

4. Grab a pinch of noodles and stuff each 'muffin'.

5. Melt up the candles in the 'ol electric wax melter. (Like this: http://www.prestopotwaxmelter.com/Photos.html but I had help from someone on this board to make my own.)

6. Drizzle wax over the noodles in each section of the muffin tin and set aside to cool.

This process works best on a <65 degree day - oh yes, work outside to avoid a mess inside the house.

If I remember I'll take pics of my 'process' this weekend.

Shari

Reactions: ScotO and pen
Hmmm, Drunken Noodles, one of my favorite Thai dishes. I'll be ordering some tomorrow night.

We're a sorry lot :p

In England I might be a lorry sot. :cool:

Reactions: Jags
BG - I have been noticing that you are fine tuning your word play. Kudos.;lol

For anybody that uses a method that compresses the starters, don't go too hard. I had a batch that would barely light, and did not produce much of a flame. It did burn for about 45 minutes though.:p

I gave away 2 truck loads of old shingles, and still have enough on hand for the next umpteen million years.
I may see if sunflower seed shells would work, just for the heck of it.

Definitely gonna try the sunflower seed hulls from the commute combined with dryer lint and paraffin...

Definitely gonna try the sunflower seed hulls from the commute combined with dryer lint and paraffin...

Might as well right? Just something to play around with.

I'm working on one of the two ==c

Been a rough week.

pen

Just fired up the PE, to chilly in the AM lately :p

Status
Not open for further replies.