Dry wood on Long Island?????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

archer292

Jan 3, 2008
LI NY
I was having trouble keeping my new insert burning. I thought some of the would was wet but according to a friend who is a landscaper, he says the wood looks as though it was cut recently. On top of that it also looks as though I got shorted on a cord. So now I have my new insert with a short cord of green wood and no other wood to burn. Can anybody direct me to some dry wood here on the island?? I have a full size pickup and don't have a problem picking it up if i have too. I'm in the Smithtown area. Thanks

No one in the Melville area? There are all those groves and nurseries between the LIE and Northern State off of Pinelawn. If not, check out Southwestern CT -- surely there are providers just across the water.

Sure enough, I sit here with over a cord of perfectly seasoned, dry oak, cherry, maple, and elm and my stove has been down for six weeks. Now we have yet another blizzard outside and beautiful wood with nothing to burn it in. Oh what a conundrum we have....

Oh, another thought. This might be paying through the nose but call Martin Viette's in Brookville and see if anyone there can send you in the right direction. One would think that with all those $3 million+ homes surrounding them, there would be a supplier nearby.
HI,

I visited the island often and I have seen a few guys. Most importantly. there was an add in Newsday where a guy was selling log length for little. That might work for next year. Call some tree services in your area and ask them to drop the logs or rounds in your driveway. They pay to dump so the less the travel and dump, the better from them.

For this year, try Roland Manetta's tree service in Bay shore. I drove by his business once and he literally had a mountain of splits about 20 ft high. Unbelievable.

Thanks

Carpniels

Go over to vets highway over by the airport and start driving through the mounds of industrial parks there. Plenty of pallets for you to burn.

I just picked up a trailer load of pallets from a building off of vets that my office just purchased.

Nice and free. And if you're worried about "stealing" pallets, just go there during business hours and ask the people working in the buildings. Most likely they are going to say take them.

Archer-

At this time of year it may be tough to find truly dry firewood. Depending on how desperate you are, and your budget, there are a couple of options. There are at least a few companies in the tri-state area selling kiln-dried hardwood. The price is high- over $700 a cord, but the option is there. Another option are the engineered wood products like BioBricks. Again, the cost is high, but you know they'll burn.

Good luck,
Josh

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm gonna head up to Vets and check for some skids. I am gonna try the tree service route also. That will be for next years wood. I used a guy to cut some trees when I first moved into the house who didn't want to take the wood with him. I told him to leave it so I could use it in the fireplace and he was happy to say the least. Maybe he'll drop some. I was told that there was wood at the dump so I called and the woman there said they had some but they were 4ft long logs. I'm not sure I could get them in the truck at that size and I don't think they will let you cut them there. I'm gonna look into it over the weekend.

If you go the pallet route, an idea is to ask the company if you can bring an extension cord and circular saw and saw it up on site. If so, bring a broom and paper bag and clean up the area afterwards so it is cleaner than you started. This way you can get a lot more in your truck, and the noise probably is less a concern in the industrial area than your house.

A local pallet company I contacted was willing to deliver junk pallets to my house for free, but only a five ton truck load at a time! Since I live in the city this would be a little overwhelming.

I also buy one dollar used carbide blades at the flea market for this job, they last quite a few nails before they finally hit the scrap bin.

Good thinking about asking to cut onsite.

If you have a chainsaw it will make fast work out of a stack of pallets quicker then a circular saw will. Keep them stacked and slice through the entire stack. I used to do this when I had a very large stack of untreated dimensional lumber

Pallets, eh'? I figure they would burn too fast.

I live in Oyster Bay, a few years ago my friend and I picked up free pallets from Lowes (we asked if we could take them), about 16 standing up in my 4X8 trailer for campfires.

Try craigslist.org for folks selling firewood, here are a few I searched for, not sure how reputable they are, but worth looking into.
http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/for/566728095.html
http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/grd/566992447.html
http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/for/567718883.html

FREE
http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/zip/570194105.html

I called two guys on craigs list and they had no problem with me checking the wood first. The first guys wood was no better than the green stuff I allready had but the second guy was pretty good. He went through a whole lesson on what to look for and showed me the water content of the wood I had on a moisture meter. Just over 25%. I'm not sure what true seasoned wood should be but the splits he checked of his were around 12%. I got a cord from him. Half mixed hardswood and the other half cherry. It's not the best stuff but it is a lot dryer than the first . I can keep a good fire going all day and night as long as I choose the splits wisely. The guy I purchased from actually called me the next day to make sure all was going well. I am happy with wood and I'm sure I'll be using him again. I would like to go the log route also but he was telling me that when they dump the logs it destroys the driveway. I got my chasinsaws ready anyway and I'm going to take a ride to the dump. They said they have logs for the taking allthough loading and unloading might pose a problem.

archer292 - Where did you buy? I got a load last year that was OK, but like everyone else I spoke to on LI they consider two face cords to be a full cord. I'm getting an insert within the next month (looking at some Quadrafires this weekend). I'm going to want 5-6 cords, as will my neighbor. Like I said, the wood I got was pretty well seasoned, but when they say a cord, I expect a cord. So I'm looking for someone new this year. Any leads are appreciated.

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.