dry wood storage, post hole beetles and termites

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

squngel

Hearth Supporter
Dec 1, 2006
South Central IN
I've noticed from some of the pictures posted around here that lots of folks are storing wood on screened in porches, up against their homes under the eaves, etc. When I was growing up, my parents always "cluck-clucked" when they saw something like this, saying the people were just inviting termites into their homes.

Is this really something to worry about? I just got in some hickory that's full of post hole beetle dust. We're in the middle of a seemingly endless stretch of wet weather and I need to dry the stuff out. It ain't gonna happen outside-- not under a tarp or even on my covered porch-- the air is just too damp. I could put some in the garage, but really it'll dry out quickest near the stove itself, in the living room. If I bring some in, am I just inviting a post hole beetle infestation?

I've got a lot of wood stacked on the stone porch railings ( bungalow style porch with concrete slab floor and limestone and concrete supports & walls, so it isn't exactly "up against the house" ... the rain isn't getting to it, but like I said, it ain't drying out any either. Any ideas?

My house is 175 years old, so if I have powder post beetles or ants or termites, I'm sure they've probably been here longer than me. I worked as a carpenter for years, then as a plumbing/heating mechanic, so I"ve been in lots of houses around here, and never heard of or saw a termite in my lifetime. They may well be here, but I've never heard of it. But if you live in a termite area, I'd stack the wood at least 30-50 feet away from the buildings. Keeping weeds, bark, leaves, etc cleaned up both around the house and around the woodpiles is important, and really makes a difference. We DO have carpenter ants here, I spread granules around the foundation twice a summer. I hate using chemicals around my house, but it's the only way to keep them out. I can stack up to 3 cords in my basement, but never actually have over a cord, more because of laziness on my part than because of any bugs.

squngel said:
I've noticed from some of the pictures posted around here that lots of folks are storing wood on screened in porches, up against their homes under the eaves, etc. When I was growing up, my parents always "cluck-clucked" when they saw something like this, saying the people were just inviting termites into their homes.

Is this really something to worry about? I just got in some hickory that's full of post hole beetle dust. We're in the middle of a seemingly endless stretch of wet weather and I need to dry the stuff out. It ain't gonna happen outside-- not under a tarp or even on my covered porch-- the air is just too damp. I could put some in the garage, but really it'll dry out quickest near the stove itself, in the living room. If I bring some in, am I just inviting a post hole beetle infestation?

I've got a lot of wood stacked on the stone porch railings ( bungalow style porch with concrete slab floor and limestone and concrete supports & walls, so it isn't exactly "up against the house" ... the rain isn't getting to it, but like I said, it ain't drying out any either. Any ideas?

Post hole beetles! Hum.... I just saw a truck go past with a load of post holes on it too! :lol: Maybe those are just post betttles?!

I agree that one should stack their wood away from the buildings. Worse than the post beetles are roaches. We find them all the time in the wood pile. Stack that wood where it is warm and they will come alive quickly! Why invite insects into any building?

As for termites, I have no experience with them but have post beetles, roaches, ants, etc. in our wood piles. We do stack wood near the house but only during winter. Right now there is about a cord of wood stacked so I can just walk out on the deck and grab it as it is stacked at the end of the deck. That will be gone by April 1 and the remaining wood will be away from buildings.

okay, I am a moron. Post hole beeltes GEEZ i meant to say powder post beetles. :D

i have about 2.5 cords on my back patio but i did make sure to seal any cracks along my foundation
but like mentioned above i will burn through this this winter by sprint it will be gone before they wake up

Squngel, it would help if you'd stick your location in your profile so it shows up in your messages - no need to be overly specific, but it is useful when trying to answer questions like this.

Most of us who aren't in heavy termite territory seem to be of the opinion that a covered woodshed full of dry wood is not a hospitable place for bugs - Termites, carpenter ants, etc. all need a significant amount of moisture to live on, and dried or drying cordwood just doesn't have it. Similarly, once the weather has dropped below freezing for a while, the bugs are going to be either dead or dormant.

Thus stacking dry wood against the house, on the porch, etc. in freezing weather is not usually seen as a problem. Bringing it inside is more debateable, but as long as it's just a day or two's worth at a time, the bugs in the wood don't really have a chance to wake up, and sleeping bugs burn nicely... :coolgrin:

Green wood might be different since it hasn't had a chance to lose enough moisture to encourage any resident critters to vacate the premises... However we don't seem to have a lot of problems reported of people getting bugs other than spiders, and the occasional wood roach, etc. in their homes from wood. I'd be more concerned aboout the fact that you're apparently wanting to burn green wood?

Gooserider

We're in SE PA, in a wooded area with a LOT of powder post beetle activity. Our wood piles are full of them. So, I only bring in enogh wood for the day, stack it on the hearth, and the rest is at least 100' from the house. We have termites, too, but they don't seem interested in the house. Either way, i'm not inviting too many of them in at one time. I also make it a point of talking really loudly and slowly when i go out to the wood pile "Oh BOY! Another load of BUGS going into the FIRE! CRACKLE! CRACKLE! Burned up BUGS! OUCH! Any BUGS in this wood are going to BURN! Crackle!"

Seems to help, but I'm not sure.

"I just got in some hickory that’s full of post hole beetle dust. We’re in the middle of a seemingly endless stretch of wet weather and I need to dry the stuff out. It ain’t gonna happen outside-- not under a tarp or even on my covered porch-- the air is just too damp. I could put some in the garage, but really it’ll dry out quickest near the stove itself, in the living room. If I bring some in, am I just inviting a post hole beetle infestation?"

First, if there are critters in the wood (for some reason critters like hickory) they will wake up as the wood warms up and you WILL have them in your house (yeah, learned that the hard way).
Second, if the hickory is fresh cut...might as well put it outside cause it aint gunna dry for this year. Hickory takes forever to dry (at least that's been my experience).

"I’ve got a lot of wood stacked on the stone porch railings ( bungalow style porch with concrete slab floor and limestone and concrete supports & walls, so it isn’t exactly “up against the house” ... the rain isn’t getting to it, but like I said, it ain’t drying out any either. Any ideas?"

Scrounge for some good dry wood for this year and keep that stash for next year. Standing dead elm (no bark, weathered) can be burnt this year. Dead ash probably could too.

I knew there had to be a reason our cats were so fascinated by the wood piles we bring in- they sit and stare at them for hours.
Now I realize that they are just waiting for their snack!

Oh, yeah, my wife and I have sat by the stove, mystified at the crunching sounds we were hearing, until we realized it was the bugs in the wood....

woodconvert said:
"I just got in some hickory that’s full of post hole beetle dust. We’re in the middle of a seemingly endless stretch of wet weather and I need to dry the stuff out. It ain’t gonna happen outside-- not under a tarp or even on my covered porch-- the air is just too damp. I could put some in the garage, but really it’ll dry out quickest near the stove itself, in the living room. If I bring some in, am I just inviting a post hole beetle infestation?"

First, if there are critters in the wood (for some reason critters like hickory) they will wake up as the wood warms up and you WILL have them in your house (yeah, learned that the hard way).
Second, if the hickory is fresh cut...might as well put it outside cause it aint gunna dry for this year. Hickory takes forever to dry (at least that's been my experience).

The hickory was cut last April. I'd guess it isn't seasoned to perfection but the general opinion (from "noob question about wood seasoning" was that it's seasoned enough to be burnable (if kept dry, which it hasn't been).)

Scrounge for some good dry wood for this year and keep that stash for next year. Standing dead elm (no bark, weathered) can be burnt this year. Dead ash probably could too.

Actually that's what I've been doing, which is how I neglected to keep up with the responses in this thread. I've been getting truckloads of standing dead dogwood from my dad's farm. Yesterday I got thoroughly soaked and filthy for a coupla hours stomping around in the woods pushing little trees over and lugging them to my truck. The stuff burns great (!) and it is great for me because I can't use a chainsaw but can cut this stuff up with a miter saw located on my front porch. Unfortunately a truckload of it is only about half a rick, I'm guessing, because have to toss it in the truckbec uncut and tie flags on the end of it. It's really labor intensive so I don't know if I'll be able to collect enough to get me through the winter but I'll try.

Gooserider said:
Squngel, it would help if you'd stick your location in your profile so it shows up in your messages - no need to be overly specific, but it is useful when trying to answer questions like this.

Done :)

Green wood might be different since it hasn't had a chance to lose enough moisture to encourage any resident critters to vacate the premises... However we don't seem to have a lot of problems reported of people getting bugs other than spiders, and the occasional wood roach, etc. in their homes from wood. I'd be more concerned aboout the fact that you're apparently wanting to burn green wood?

Gooserider

NO>> I don't want to burn green wood. I believe the wood is seasoned; it's just soaking wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.