Drying out the ceramics. First time firing question. (Okay, I can't spell.)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gasifier

Minister of Fire
Apr 25, 2011
St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
My Wood Gun installation should be complete in a few more hours. The system is almost full and they are finishing up the electrical as I write this. A question to you guys about the first few fires. How much time did you spend drying out the ceramics in your boiler? I have read I should start with a small fire, then gradually increase in size until I have brought boiler up to temp. How much time in between the first small fire, then the second, etc. How long should I take until I get a big enough burn to raise boiler temp up to 180 or 190 and then continue until I raise the temperature of my 400 gallon tank. I would appreciate any advice guys. Thanks in advance.

I am psyched, can't wait to see how this thing works! :ahhh:

Good question. I wondered what was meant by a "small" fire. Just some kindling and splits? Just some pine or old dimensional lumber to get things hot for a bit? Im curious as well.

My wood gun is online. I started with a small fire. Just a few pieces of kindling and paper. I have very slowly added wood and brought the temp up to 100, then 110, then 120 and now 130. This has been slow and easy over the last three and half hours. I will just let it go out tonight and start slow again on Sunday. Everything seems to be working well. We sealed the exhause pipe connections with high temp silicone. Had to get the smoke leaks to stop. Worked well. I can not wait to bring the temp up to 190 and then get the tank up to that temp as well. I have to get that tank insulated now.

Congrats! Big smile Im sure. Im envious right now, to say the least :)

Make sure you get things up to full pressure/temp before you insulate your tank, just to make sure that there arent any leaks.

Will do. It has been running now for a while and not one leak yet. I will probably wait until Monday or Tuesday to insulate the tank. I just looked outside and it is raining and 38 Deg. The oil boiler is running. Noooooo! I am so tempted to bring the Wood boiler right up to temp right now! But, I will do it slowly.

It is exciting, eh? Since I started my Garn on Nov17, 2010, not a single drop of oil. It is a wonderfuly independent feeling! Just go around checking everything for leaks, let it warm and cool a few times for thermal cycles, etc. I personally wouldn't be in a huge hurry to insulate your storage tank....hard to find a leak if you do....and a pain. Now don't keep looking in to see the high temperature torch! That's one bad thing about a Garn....don't get to see/hear that flame!

Hey gasifier,

Congratulations!!

Real Happy for you.

I hope you took alot of pictures.

Definitely want to see the install.

Where did you put it?
Is it in series or parallel with the oil burner?

What did you use for a storage tank?

As you know I just got mine.
And now worrying about insurance.

How did all that work out for you?

Where did you put it?
Is it in series or parallel with the oil burner?
What did you use for a storage tank?
As you know I just got mine. And now worrying about insurance.
How did all that work out for you?

I put mine in the basement. I am lucky to have a lot of room down there.
The boiler is piped in parallel with the oil boiler. From what I read, that is the way to do it best.
I found a large ASME rated stand up tank. It was a former high pressure air tank. Nice shape. About 375-400 gallons.
Good. I explained to them that I had two professional HVAC guys do the install.

Now I have a lot of learning to do about this system. We will see how it works.

I took several pictures. Will post in the near future. It's been a long time since I did that. Need to brush up on it a bit.

Remember to allow yourself as much room as you can around your boiler. Especially in front and behind. You will like the room for cleaning.

Oh, thanks for the encouragement guys. I am so relieved to have that baby running right now. I purchased it in the spring when they had them on sale. Got a good price. Well, if you can call $8000 a good price for a furnace. :lol: So, needless to say it has been a long time waiting to get it on line. October 1st today. A good day to get it on line. It is getting cold. 38 Degrees right now.

did you go for permits and have it inspected?

Ive been reading the NYS Building Code and Mechanical Code.

I cant find one thing that prohibits a boiler (oil, gas or wood) from being in a garage, (thats where I want to put mine). They actually have a list of prohibited places.
Closets, bedrooms, surgical rooms and living spaces.

As far as I can see, according to what I read, they dont require a permit or inspection.

I could be wrong but hope Im right.

did you go for permits and have it inspected?
Ive been reading the NYS Building Code and Mechanical Code.
I cant find one thing that prohibits a boiler (oil, gas or wood) from being in a garage, (thats where I want to put mine). They actually have a list of prohibited places.
Closets, bedrooms, surgical rooms and living spaces.
As far as I can see, according to what I read, they dont require a permit or inspection.
I could be wrong but hope Im right.

No permit. I am out in the country and had a solid fuel burner (wood stove) already. Used the same S.S., insulated, double wall chimney pipe for boiler. You want this same pipe as well before you go through ceiling in garage. Expensive, but worth every penny. Take a look at all the framing wood in your garage. Pretty dry isn't it. I saw your pictures. That is why houses go up like a box of matches. Sheetrock my friend. Sheetrock. And a properly installed thimble.

I Built to code. Insurance company informed.
You do not want your boiler in your garage or any uninsulated space. It should be in doors.
Wall off a section of your garage and insulate it. It would be good if you could have a door from house to boiler room. Then, while you were home, you could leave that door open and have the heat from the boiler room come into the house. But, if not, shoot for insulating entire garage down the road and the boiler will keep your garage nice and toasty for you. Then you have a new instant cool man cave, perfect for a workout place, hang out place, etc. In the future you will add radio, TV, small fridge. Sweeeeeet. A cool place to get away when the wife has company over or her to do list going. (If you already have a project your working on, you can't work on hers right now.) :lol:

We put good lighting in, a boiler shut off switch just inside door and I am now going to finish double sheet rock on walls/ceiling. I had left part of it undone so they could run wiring and piping wherever they needed to. Now I will finish, hopefully this week. Also, plenty of room around boiler, especially front and back. Pictures will follow after I complete inside of boiler room. Good luck with install and keep us posted. I will try to answer any questions I can, but will also defer to the guys on here that know a lot more than I do. :)
Later.

Oh, if you did not get the low temp. shut down option. I did not, nor did they tell me about or offer it to me. We are trying an aquastat that shuts the circulation pump to that boiler off when temperature gets down to set temperature. Probably 150 Deg. Now I just have to figure out the fan thing. I think that is still going to run even though the temperature is down. Hey guys, shouldn't I be able to turn off the fan with the same aquastat that shuts down circulation pump? I guess the problem is allowing it to come on when the boiler is starting up cold???????

Status
Not open for further replies.