1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Drying/storing firewood in a greenhouse?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by jtcedinburgh, Sep 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtcedinburgh

jtcedinburgh New Member

Loc:
    Fife Riviera, Scotland
    Hi,

We don't have a huge garden so storing a winter's worth of wood is only possible with some creativity. I have moved 1/4 of our logs into some spare space in our greenhouse, and I wondered whether this is wise or not?

During the day temperatures can top 100F in there, but the air-flow is less than I would get outside. The wood appears to be drying out very well, but I'm concerned that there may be side effects.

Has anyone here tried storing/drying wood in this way?

John

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jtcedinburgh

jtcedinburgh New Member

Loc:
    Fife Riviera, Scotland
    It's difficult as I leave the door wide open and the vents horizontal (to maximise airflow). There are roof hatches but if it rains I lose out.

Of course, I could always remove a pane or two of the glass but am reluctant to do that!
  3. killian

killian New Member

I would say that if it seems to be drying very well, then leave it alone. If everything seems moist in there then your gonna have a problem.
  4. Homefire

Homefire New Member

Grow some produce in the greenhouse. Then trade or sell it for seasoned wood delivered and stacked as needed.

just an idea ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.