Drying wood in a hurry!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks again for all of the info. I will definitely start cutting and splitting as soon as we thaw out here in Indiana! I have about 40 acres of forest on my property and I think I have a lifetime wood supply already down. We lost 3 giant trees this past fall and they don't appear to be rotted at all - we just had a terrible windstorm. Then there's the standing dead trees that need taken out... I have a lot of forest maintenance to do! Are there any species that I can cut and split in the spring that will be ready for winter (only 9 months of dry time)? I feel like I'm wasting money when I buy wood since I already have so much here. I just need to find the time to cut and split it! We have a fair amount of Ash, Oak, Sugar Maple, Hickory, and some Walnut. We may have some sassafras too...

With 40 acres, it will no doubt be many years before you have to actually fell a tree and perhaps never. Count your blessings! Also, having so much, I say get the good stuff first. Some very well may go bad before you get it. That's okay as it is never total waste. Remember, it takes about the same amount of time and effort to cut good wood as it does to cut marginal or poorer quality wood. So why not put your time to good use and get the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.