Dual Exhaust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Vinelife

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
May 31, 2010
Way Up North Michigan
Been getting prices together for a new stove I will be getting here soon. Its the Harman Absolute 63. Was talking to the person at the store and they recommended a dual exhaust that works both as intake air and exhaust at same time. Has anyone heard of these and do they work good. This would replace a OAK. Input would be appreciated. Ty...

Reactions: Ssyko
It doesn’t replace the oak, just puts it through the thimble and only requires one cut through the wall. I use one on my P61A

D76331F6-D9B8-47EA-A553-EFA821EE4FA5.jpeg

IMO only
If you go the Selkirk route, you may need to take out another mortgage.
If you go this route, and,
1615041312223.png

you have a handy friend with hole saws,
you can make this for the price of the standard thimble..
I made my thimble adapter to go into an existing masonry chimney,
by using a $5 block off plate... Same principle.. vs. $45 adapter..
Plus you will save using the standard vent piping..

thimble.jpg

Dan

Reactions: tbear853
Yes, this is it. Has anyone used this?
The bad part is the exh warms up the outside air and condensation causes moisture which rusts out the outer pipe. This was a major problem with the Bixby stoves. The cold outside air cooled off the exh temps so soot accumulated and plugged the pipe if run at a low heat level.

both as intake air and exhaust at same time.
That setup is both an OAK (outside air for combustion ) and
exhaust. If I were to install a new stove in this house that's what I would want

That setup is both an OAK (outside air for combustion ) and
exhaust. If I were to install a new stove in this house that's what I would want
I didn't even know they made a single pipe that can do both...

I have the Selkirk Direct-Temp piping, it is expensive, was not impressed with some of their fittings, and have thoughts about cold air surrounding the hot air exhaust

I used my standard flue pass through, 12x12, made sure no spikes in my pathway, took my chain saw and cut 12x12 hole in wall, then framed it to recess thimble into logs that are between 10 and 15" thick across, but 6" high milled (spans two courses) and provide straight parallel faces for fastening inner & outer to , then after the flu was done, after thimble in place, I measured from two edge inside & outside and used a hole saw to cut round holes for a 2" OD pipe like a car uses, had buddy bend up what I wanted, capped air intake with screen wire.

It doesn’t replace the oak, just puts it through the thimble and only requires one cut through the wall. I use one on my P61A

View attachment 275889
Note you may need an adapter when using this with a Harman. My P68 had a 3" O.D. inlet.

I haven't had trouble with the smaller OAK, but I also haven't been in the workshop during really cold days due to rotator cuff surgery. I'll let the experts chime in as to if a Harman really needs the 3"OAK...

Been getting prices together for a new stove I will be getting here soon. Its the Harman Absolute 63. Was talking to the person at the store and they recommended a dual exhaust that works both as intake air and exhaust at same time. Has anyone heard of these and do they work good. This would replace a OAK. Input would be appreciated. Ty...
Not dual exhaust, I think you mean "direct vent".

This may help:

Reactions: SidecarFlip