Dual use fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
Has anyone ever seen/heard of a fireplace containing an wood stove flu and a open fire flu at the same time?

Has anyone ever seen/heard of a fireplace containing an wood stove flu and a open fire flu at the same time?
in what way? I made a double sided fireplace that had 2 flues into a open fireplace on one side and an insert on the other. There are also stoves that have a screen option that lets you burn ineficently with the doors open if you want to waste wood for some reason.

Reactions: mellow
I meant like having an freestanding stove vented to ss liner; but also having an area in the same firebox for open fires.

Do you mean a fireplace that can be operated with the doors closed for efficiency and also run with the doors open with a screen?

I think the Napoleon NZ series was an open or closed stove.

Jotul Oslo's can be run without the front door. It was a selling point for my wife. Although we have never done it, as the rolling fire view through the glass is better than a fireplace.

I can run my harman TL-300 in fireplace mode with the optional fireplace screen and the door wide open if i choose. I would only attempt this once the bulk of the wood is burned down to coals as it could easily put the stove into overfire mode otherwise as the bypass door is wide open. Also i have the is a cooking grill for this stove that allows you to grill food right inside the stove ,again once it down to coals. I dont know of any other stove that has these two options in the same stove.

Get a stove with a good fire view. That way you can have the fire viewing pleasure and the efficient heat all at the same time. You can use an insert if you don't mind relying on blowers.

I dont know of any other stove that has these two options in the same stove.
Jotul F50 has grill option and screen binary-7351-8000.png
http://jotul.com/us/products/stoves/jotul-f-50-tl-rangeley

Last edited:
I can run my harman TL-300 in fireplace mode with the optional fireplace screen and the door wide open if i choose. I would only attempt this once the bulk of the wood is burned down to coals as it could easily put the stove into overfire mode otherwise as the bypass door is wide open. Also i have the is a cooking grill for this stove that allows you to grill food right inside the stove ,again once it down to coals. I dont know of any other stove that has these two options in the same stove.
Kinda where I was going. Did the grill come with the stove?

Kinda where I was going. Did the grill come with the stove?
No, its an accessory . Had to buy the fireplace screen and also the cooking grill seperately. Both items are things that can not easily be substituted. Both the grill and the fireplace screen are specifically made for this stove.

i'm not sure he was talking about a stove. sounded like he was asking about a fireplace that may also have a pipe connection above the mantle or the fire box, but i could be mistaken.

The original question was a bit confusing, but it seems to be more of a stove question:
I meant like having an freestanding stove vented to ss liner; but also having an area in the same firebox for open fires.

Status
Not open for further replies.