1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

dubble puntuation = face

Post in 'New Forum Hints and your Questions & Suggestions!' started by woodsmaster, Mar 31, 2012.

1. woodsmaster

woodsmaster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N.W. Ohio
    If I put 2 exclamation points a face comes up when I post. I think there is some other ones also. Is this
    just the way it is suppost to be? It's kind of annoying when you post and there is a face that don't match
    the punctuation and shouldn't be there any how.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Those are keyboard shortcuts for the smilies. Try putting a space between them.

! !
  3. woodsmaster

woodsmaster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N.W. Ohio
    Ok Will take some getting used to. I don't think it was the same in the old forum ? Seems like the short cut should match the face. Like 2 exclamation marks = excited face.
  4. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Oh, I can fix that smilie replacement thing - in general I used keyboard equivs that people were not likely to type......
  5. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    IMHO, kbd shortcuts should all start with a standard character like a full colon ":" or semi-colon ";". In the real world though, that is seldom the case. Some forums let you turn off the smiley feature at post time.

Here is a sample of kbd shortcuts for a different forum.

[​IMG]
  6. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    If you mouse over the smilies how to invoke/type one is off to the right

I have a habit of typing :censor: because it is a smilie elsewhere for a censored smilie .
    It's a bit nicer than letter substitution for cuss words ( sh!t, etc)
  7. Adabiviak

Adabiviak Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sierra Nevadas, California
    It's rare that the normal course of punctuation inadvertently causes smilies to show up in my post, but I note with some dismay that there's no 'disable smilies' check box available. That's a pretty typical staple of modern, smilie-friendly forum engines. Maybe I just can't find it? That's the typical solution to this sort of thing.
  8. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    My assumption is that people don't use KB shortcuts - or at least standard ones - for smileys, so I tried to give them a code that was not easy or relevant (so it would not happen by accident)....

I obviously need to tune them up.
  9. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Craig, I like how you kept the smileys from the old site. Kinda like a security blanket! The double exclamation smiley is a bit of a PITA, but I gotta tell ya overall, I think you did a fantastic job with the transition. I am sure you have been busy, but your work shows on the site. keep up the good work....