Duerr 20 Ton Splitter won't retract

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

adamwidmer

Sep 23, 2019
California
So, I got this from my neighbor who always swears everything he has will work with minor tune-ups.

This thing sat outside with a crappy tarp over it for at least 5 years in the Santa Cruz mountains where it is VERY rainy for 4-5 months out of the year. The ram was about 1/3 extended, but it doesn't have any rust on it.

Instead of trying to make the old Briggs & Stratton motor work I just bought a predator that magically had all the exact same mounting holes. It's like it was made for this splitter.

I did NOT replace the hydraulic fluid, but I did top it off with about 2 gallons. It did not seem to have much excess water in it, but I am inexperienced. What's the best way to tell? It doesn't look particularly cloudy...

The pump seems a bit leaky and there's definitely a leak where the hose goes into the part that holds the filter (which I did not replace).

My issue is that I started the motor up, and got it running smooth and then went to go try to run the ram and there's no reverse on it. It extended just fine, but it won't move back and there doesn't seem to be any detent. Is this an issue with the control valve? Is it just that I don't have enough pressure?

I'm a total noob, but I'm a pretty quick learner. Let me know your thoughts!

I'm trying to post a video, but it's too large for this post. I'll try to link to it.

IMG_9570.jpgIMG_9577.jpgIMG_9575.jpgIMG_9574.jpgIMG_9572.jpgIMG_9571.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The valve may be rusted. Try lubricating the linkage and the spool while moving the handle toward extend. You might get more lubricant into the spool when it is in vertical postition. Then continue to work the handle back and forth.

Last edited:
Reactions: thewoodlands
That's in the order of what I was thinking. In the video you can see the hose squirm around a little when the pressure is applied but it can't go any farther forward because it is already there. That would indicate to me anyways that pressure is being delivered to the control valve from the pump. Something with the contrpl valve. That is my non expert guess as to where the trouble is at.

That's in the order of what I was thinking. In the video you can see the hose squirm around a little when the pressure is applied but it can't go any farther forward because it is already there. That would indicate to me anyways that pressure is being delivered to the control valve from the pump. Something with the contrpl valve. That is my non expert guess as to where the trouble is at.
Fluid Film works great for chit like that and it will also help protect it from rusting, I get mine at Lowe's.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Any progress?

The valve is a Prince brand valve. It has a detent for the return stroke. With the engine shut off operate the valve, first push handle to the extend position when you let go of the handle it should return to the neutral position. When you move the handle to the return position it should stay, if it doesn't stay the valve may be damaged.