Duke Power Going Green?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fraxinus

Feeling the Heat
Aug 3, 2007
coastal Maine
Yesterday's NY Times Magazine has an interesting article about Duke Power's CEO Jim Rogers and his plans for the company. By 2050, he wants Duke's CO2 emissions down to 0. He has proposed installing 500,000 solar panels on the roofs of private homes. All purchase, installation, and maintanence costs to be born by Duke. This would be the equivalent of a new 1000 megawatt generating facility. Apparently to begin this summer on a trial basis in NC and SC is the use of smart meters which "automatically turn off customers' appliances during periods of peak power use." Projected savings in the Carolinas is 1800 megawatts. The bulk of the article deals with the cap and trade legislation making its way through Congress.
I'm posting this mainly in hopes that others with far more knowledge and expertise than I possess will read the article and comment. Since at least the 1930's (look at the history of DP and coal mining in Appalachia) Duke Power has been one of the most sinister and notorious energy companies. They still rank number 3 in overall CO2 production. If this change of heart and attitude can be believed, we really may be entering a new era.

I worked for Cinergy when Jim Rogers was the CEO and I left shortly after the Duke merger. Let me tell you this about him. If he walked into a room from the outside soaked from head to toe and said it was raining out, I would have to look outside to see for myself. He knows what to say and who to say it to in order further his agenda.

Rockey said:
I worked for Cinergy when Jim Rogers was the CEO and I left shortly after the Duke merger. Let me tell you this about him. If he walked into a room from the outside soaked from head to toe and said it was raining out, I would have to look outside to see for myself. He knows what to say and who to say it to in order further his agenda.
YOW!!, I thinks that is one of the most scathing yet gentile indictments of a man's trustworthiness I've read in a long time. Guess I won't rush to invest in solar panel manufactures based on Duke's proposal. :eek:hh:

fraxinus said:
Yesterday's NY Times Magazine has an interesting article about Duke Power's CEO Jim Rogers and his plans for the company. By 2050, he wants Duke's CO2 emissions down to 0. He has proposed installing 500,000 solar panels on the roofs of private homes. All purchase, installation, and maintanence costs to be born by Duke. This would be the equivalent of a new 1000 megawatt generating facility. Apparently to begin this summer on a trial basis in NC and SC is the use of smart meters which "automatically turn off customers' appliances during periods of peak power use." Projected savings in the Carolinas is 1800 megawatts. The bulk of the article deals with the cap and trade legislation making its way through Congress.
I'm posting this mainly in hopes that others with far more knowledge and expertise than I possess will read the article and comment. Since at least the 1930's (look at the history of DP and coal mining in Appalachia) Duke Power has been one of the most sinister and notorious energy companies. They still rank number 3 in overall CO2 production. If this change of heart and attitude can be believed, we really may be entering a new era.

I see a logistical/responsibility nightmare the the homeowner needs a new roof.

The article is quite a puff piece on him!

Amazing what some smooth moves and PR can do. Of course, with all due respect to Rocky, we don't know the whole story without having input from lots of sources.....

I guess being a good Bullshitter is half (or all) of the battle these days, especially in the CEO suite.

Status
Not open for further replies.