Dulling Chain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it pulling big chips at first? I have had much better luck with Stihl chains staying sharp myself. Your not running a safety chain are you?

If the OP is new to chainsaws, I hope he is running a safety chain. I can't imagine recommending non-safety chain to a (self-described) novice.

I'd like to put in a plug for the Timberline chain sharpener. I'm real happy with mine. I'll never be dull again.

If the OP is new to chainsaws, I hope he is running a safety chain. I can't imagine recommending non-safety chain to a (self-described) novice.

I'm usually "Mr. Safety" but honestly, I can't think of a good reason to recommend "safety" chain over regular yellow label stuff, even for a saw novice. The kickback reduction is minimal, safety chain can and will still kick back under the right conditions, and will most certainly cut flesh and bone just as well as yellow-label chain. Kinda like a sharp knife is a safe knife ...

Far more important to be using a saw equipped with a working inertia-activated chain brake, tuned and adjusted correctly, and wear the proper PPE. Chaps, gloves, and of course eyes and ears all the time.. And a hard-hat/helmet when appropriate.

Reactions: Nixon
So,

Yellow safety chain is:

a) designed by incompetent engineers
b) a marketing ploy to generate additional revenue
c) a legal maneuver to avoid lawsuits
d) used to slow cutting speeds, thereby increasing gas and oil sales
d) only bought by suckers
e) all the above

:rolleyes:

So,

Yellow safety chain is:

a) designed by incompetent engineers
b) a marketing ploy to generate additional revenue
c) a legal maneuver to avoid lawsuits
d) used to slow cutting speeds, thereby increasing gas and oil sales
d) only bought by suckers
e) all the above

:rolleyes:

As a practical matter, I choose "B." As MasterMech points out, any reasonably new saw with an inertial chain brake kind of negates most of the reason for making separate "safety" and "professional" types of chain, but the categories have always existed, and the marketing depts. have apparently decided there's a reason for maintaining the distinction. Sure, "pro" chain cuts faster and better and may in fact not be as safe as "safety" chain, but it's a minimal distinction, at best, and as I said, basically negated by other saw technologies.

Let me put it another way: A dull chain is a lot more dangerous than a sharp chain, regardless. Not much the engineers can do about that.

When I started using chainsaws around 1981 or so I was just out of high school.Never used any safety chains because they didnt exist.Full chisel is all you would find at farm supply stores & saw/small engine repair shops.Any saws I was using didnt have chain brakes either,you learned to pay attention where that bar was at all the time.Though most saws didnt rev as high back then either.
Proper instruction in saw operation/safety procedures,close supervision when starting out & always being alert is more important IMO.

Reactions: Realstone
Status
Not open for further replies.