Dump bed or grapple arm?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Isaac Carlson

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2012
NW Wisconsin
I have been wanting to build a dump bed and grapple arm for my truck. My problem is I don’t think I can do both. My original plan was to just build a dump bed to help with unloading, but then I saw a grapple on a truck and really liked it. I don’t know if I can do both because of the added weight and lost space. The grapple would be handy for a lot more than just wood. I could lift engines, beef/pig carcasses, pull posts, etc... The dump bed would only dump stuff, which is a great thing, but loading is still a pain.

Does anyone have any experience or insight into solving this dilema?

My boss said I should put the grapple on the truck and build a dump trailer. That way I can move stuff with the truck and load the trailer if I want to.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
You could design the tongue on the trailer so you could put a lift on it and still have it dump. You could also reposition your axles so it would take some of the weight off the tongue with the lift.

It really depends on you and what you do. I use my dump bed all the time for work and home use i am sure i would use a grappel but not as much

How about a small excavator and a trailer? Seems like it would be a lot more useful. Lots of tree companies use this setup. Hire out for digging/trenching and make it pay for itself.