Dump zone solar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonard

Nov 21, 2009
Central Maine
I need to figure out what to do with the excess heat I will incur with my solar panels some sort of dump zone, I was thinking of trying to use the hot water for something but an overheat will most likely occur in the summer where heat is not needed. Any suggestions?

Assume this is a solar hot water system? Are the panels angled to optimize for heating in winter instead of all-year (ie angle is steeper than your latitude)?
Is overheat of the whole system even likely? I know panels overheat easily without circulation, but the whole system? What temp would be overheat?
A big super insulated water tank with an embedded hose-coil as a heat exchanger can store heat for use on cloudy days (plans on builditsolar.com).
Outdoor hot tub?
Pool heater?

I sell solar water heaters in CT- most all systems have an expansion tank so they will not overheat- as of today there is no system for overflow excess

I think asking the boiler room would be a good idea. A lot of them have boiler / solar kit...... and are dealing with hydronic system.

my own preference is to use flat plate collectors with a "drainback" type system if possible. among the advantages to these systems are that there is no overproduction or need for heat-dump. the controller shuts the system down when the storage tank gets to an adjustable high limit temperature. the collectors then dry-stagnate, which is no problem.

and even with "closed loop pressurized systems" experience seems to be that unless the system is oversized and/or the expansion tank undersized, they generally can handle sunny periods of no draw without adverse effects.

I'm planning a DHW pre-heating system myself. I'd like to go with a drainback, but my best installation location is about 5' below where my indoor storage tank will be.

Heat swimming pool or hot tub.

Status
Not open for further replies.