DuraVent now limiting warranties for some internet purchases without professional installation.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogwildz

Minister of Fire
I was just looking something up on the DurVent site, and saw a new warning.
It appears the warranty on some internet purchased products is only in effect if certain systems are professionally installed.
I believe my self installed DuraLiner is one of them. Oh, well, its in and proven now.
I find this a tad discriminating. What they should require is the system be inspected, not necessarily professionally installed.
Welp, I am now not so much a fan of a Manufacturer and product I really like. That sucks.
http://www.duravent.com/docs/L210_09.pdf

Im sure the issue is that duravent is getting all the tech calls from the internet retailers customers that they wont service. Not surprising to me.

Somebody has been suing Simpson's butt off I think. I sent them an email six months ago about something and got three darn near panicked looking replies over four days time with every one of them saying "That liner has to be insulated" which had absolutely nothing to do with the question. In fact I answered the first one with "It is insulated and that has nothing to do with the question." and they replied with "That liner has to be insulated.". They never did answer the question and now I don't even remember what it was.

They need to go into another line of work.

Hart's Hearth has dumped their flex liner line.

By the way, if you ever have a warranty claim take it to small claims court and take this ad as a example of a professional that installs chimneys.

"Fireplace and Stove Service Tech Needed

Full Time Position available

Will be required to service a variety of Wood, Gas and Pellet Stoves as well as Fireplaces. No specific experience in the industry required but must have worked in the service field previously.

* Compensation: depending on experience
* Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
* Please, no phone calls about this job!
* Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests."

MountainStoveGuy said:
Im sure the issue is that duravent is getting all the tech calls from the internet retailers customers that they wont service. Not surprising to me.

My emails were from my legit company, Alternative Heating Services, LLC.

In one way, worrying that I have just ordered $1200 of liner from them, and off the internet ($2000 from local stored), but, as per Brother Bart's example, I have had no end of terrible advice from local sweeps/stove shops so I figure that a) the pre-insulated liner will be fine, b) if I have t sue them I will use the local shops as an example, plus the suggestion that they are just price-fixing

I think Durs-Vent is going about it right.Some of the things that are trying to be done rihgt here on this forum are scary enough.I see people trying to fit inserts into ZC fireplaces that are just ripped apart.People hooking up direct connect to ZC fireplaces.Using screws instead of pop rivets on liner.The list goes on and on.Then we get someone who gets there information off the internet and thinks that well work for me too. But they have a fire and want too sue the liner people because they cant sue the guy on the internet that told them the wrong thing to do.But at least when it goes through a hearth shop its the shops liability. Thats why almost every manufacturer wants a professional installation.So buy your things from the big box stores and the internet and just try to get all the right answers from that guy/gal in a smook or from an e-mail. I guess we well be hearing from you right here on hearth.com

Daryl said:
I think Durs-Vent is going about it right.Some of the things that are trying to be done rihgt here on this forum are scary enough.I see people trying to fit inserts into ZC fireplaces that are just ripped apart.People hooking up direct connect to ZC fireplaces.Using screws instead of pop rivets on liner.The list goes on and on.Then we get someone who gets there information off the internet and thinks that well work for me too. But they have a fire and want too sue the liner people because they cant sue the guy on the internet that told them the wrong thing to do.But at least when it goes through a hearth shop its the shops liability. Thats why almost every manufacturer wants a professional installation.So buy your things from the big box stores and the internet and just try to get all the right answers from that guy/gal in a smook or from an e-mail. I guess we well be hearing from you right here on hearth.com

That will be fine Daryl as long as they define a professional installation. Are your installers certified like they have to be in Canada?

BrotherBart said:
Daryl said:

That will be fine Daryl as long as they define a professional installation. Are your installers certified like they have to be in Canada?

Yes the lead man on the job is certified and the helper is not.I hold a hvac quilfier for the state of Wisconsin.We have factory training on products. We get reguler updates from our suppliers. So I think we are better informed then the average Joe.

I bought my first stove on the internet... I suppose one could say the second one too since I made the decision before going to the factory. However, I had a professional install the chimney system and stove since I wanted to be sure it was done right and frankly didn't want to take the time to learn the ins and outs of how to do it. Although now that I have spent the last year reading these forums I wonder if I could well do it myself at this point and get it right - too late :)

My point being that there could well be many folks buying off internet sources but still having professionals doing the installs - at least they recognize this and allow for it. I didn't read the fine print though so I wonder what exactly they consider to be a 'professional' to do the install.

Slow1 said:
I bought my first stove on the internet... I suppose one could say the second one too since I made the decision before going to the factory. However, I had a professional install the chimney system and stove since I wanted to be sure it was done right and frankly didn't want to take the time to learn the ins and outs of how to do it. Although now that I have spent the last year reading these forums I wonder if I could well do it myself at this point and get it right - too late :)

My point being that there could well be many folks buying off internet sources but still having professionals doing the installs - at least they recognize this and allow for it. I didn't read the fine print though so I wonder what exactly they consider to be a 'professional' to do the install.

Installing a chimney is not rocket science,but there are rules you have to follow.And some tricks of the trade that come with time.What your homeowners insurance wants is that someone is liable for the work performed.When we hire a sub for a certain aspect of a job they have to have liability insurance.
As a homeowner you are allowed to do your own work but you still have to get a permit and inspected (in some areas).
Your insurance also has to approve it.

Mass. Wine Guy said:
Yes, it's total discrimination! Why would anyone even think of having an experienced professional install an appliance that could potentially burn down your home? It makes no sense whatsoever.

Being your fairly new here and still sheetin yellow on posting inputs, I'll take it easy on ya just this once.
If you been here as long as some of the other members. You will know that more often than not, people are posting how their quotes from "professional" installers include fiberglass insulation instead of block off plates.
No block off plates at all. No insulation needed, which may be fine, but it sure can help much more, especially on an outside wall chimney installation. And many other poorly quoted & advised "professional" advice & quotes offered, from locate sweeps, stove shops etc. Now I am not saying all are bad, or all are good. But it seems from the time I been on here, and reading the many posts on the same snafu's over & over. Professional in some areas, would not cut it in other areas. I did my own install, my home is heated 24/7 with my install, and I bet its better than the typical " professional" install. Cause its my home and I went the extra mile with everything.
I understand that some folks just don't have the mechanical ability to do it themselves, and am in no way telling everyone to do it themselves. But I personally do almost everything self sufficiently on my home. I know its done right, and far exceeds the minimum requirements. If your just looking to stir some sheet, then send me a PM and I'd be glad to tear you a new one. ;)

The urge is overwhelming. I have to say something about the Simpson Company and its DuraTech chimney and DVL double wall stove pipe. About 5 months ago I purchased these products from a local trusted stove shop and about a month ago finished installing them in my home. They are now attached to my new PE Spectrum stove.

The DuraTech chimney and DVL double wall stove pipe appear to be excellent products. The chimney twist-locks together very securely and screws are not needed to hold it but are optional. The stove pipe slides together and must be secured with screws. The female side of the stovepipe is predrilled with an oblong hole and once secured with screws the connection is very rigid and secure. I can recommend this chimney and stovepipe very highly. What I cannot recommend very highly is that darned chimney adapter needed to connect the pipe to the chimney. Once installed (do you insert and twist or just mis-align the tabs and slots and push it into place?), there is no guarantee it will not fall out of the chimney connection. How do I know? Because mine fell out twice with only the weight of an 18" piece of DVL attached to it.

Simpson's Customer Service and Technical Service provided little help to answer the questions I had about this connector so I give Simpson an "F" grade in that area. The local stove shop provided excellent technical advice for a grade of A+.

Sometimes a Professional or Certificated installer will do an excellent job, sometimes a satisfactory job and sometimes a lousy job. The certification or experience might indicate one has a certain knowledge to do the work but says little about the quality of the finished job. Quality is determined by their knowledge, having the right tools, and taking pride in a job well done.

Just my opinions based on some experience.

John_M

Daryl said:
Slow1 said:

Installing a chimney is not rocket science,but there are rules you have to follow.And some tricks of the trade that come with time.What your homeowners insurance wants is that someone is liable for the work performed.When we hire a sub for a certain aspect of a job they have to have liability insurance.
As a homeowner you are allowed to do your own work but you still have to get a permit and inspected (in some areas).
Your insurance also has to approve it.

I think you nailed it right on the head . . . a lot of it is about liability and who is taken to court and has to pay if something goes wrong.

I suspect that's why my own insurance company required me to have my chimney professionally installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.