Duravent stove adapter is leaking need advice!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooper

Nov 13, 2011
Wilmington,Ma
Hey guys my adapter is leaking from the rope gasket and a little at the exhaust connection. I did use rtv but its still getting by any suggestions ?? The last time i loaded up the rope with rtv but what a mess please any advice ! I also know duravent sucks but its what i got !

Attachments

• Duravent stove adapter is leaking need advice!
    rps20120125_124214_350.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 731
Have you sealed it from the inside? That is if the stove's exhaust unbolts and flange comes off.

Cooper said:
Hey guys my adapter is leaking from the rope gasket and a little at the exhaust connection. I did use rtv but its still getting by any suggestions ?? The last time i loaded up the rope with rtv but what a mess please any advice ! I also know duravent sucks but its what i got !

Maybe this...http://www.designengineering.com/category/catalog/dei-cycle/insulating-materials/cool-tape Have it on my stove to seal the appliance adapter to the stoves pipe and it works great so far.

Of course the link doesn't work but it's DEI Cool Tape......just type that into your search bar or cut and paste the http line into your url address bar.

I do have some hi temp foil tape should i use that? I looked at the cool tape looks impressive!

I put a hose clamp on mine and socked it down real tight.

Is the gap between the inner pipe and out pipe, siliconed?

If the rope gasket leaks, it travels back and escapes in between that gap.

PITA to fill with the adapter on. Maybe this is what Oldmountvernon is talking about.

Cooper said:
I put a bead of rtv on the stove itself then slid the adapter flush to the stove

Are you sure that the stove exhaust actually hit and compressed the rope gasket inside the appliance adapter???

The appliance adapter slides over the stove exhaust . I had a old adapter so i took the rope out and doubled the rope my guess after all the discussion is the adapter to length of pipe needed rtv but i thought the foil tape would fix that( no luck) after second rope and a little more rtv on the adapter seems better. pain in the ass if i got to move this stove to take this stuff apart

Status
Not open for further replies.