Dutchwest 2461 door gaskets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stelcom66

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2014
Connecticut
My Vermont Castings Dutchwest takes a 7/16" gasket for the front and side doors. I went to 2 local stores, none had that size. Ended up buying a 3/8" gasket. I think that's what I used last time, and it did seem to flatten after a while more than it should, and I could see a very slight gap.

Should it be ok to use a 3/8" gasket instead of a 7/16"? I didn't do the side door yet because I ran out of stove gasket cement.

It may work out just fine. Do the “dollar bill test” once it’s in to see how the door seals.

A VC dealer doesn’t stock gasket? Weird 3/8 could work possibly. Each brand measures a little differently and has different density. That’s why it’s important get factory gasket whenever possible. IT’s especially important on a stove that’s very susceptible to damage like VC

I don't have a VC dealer near me, went to Tractor Supply and Ace Hardware. I guess I should order something like that online next time. At least I got 2 different chainsaw files at TSC.

A 3/8" gasket becomes 7/16" real quick, when installed by anyone who stretches it a little before or during application.

A 3/8" gasket becomes 7/16" real quick, when installed by anyone who stretches it a little before or during application.
Stretching it would make more like 5/16” it’s hard to make a gasket grow, but it can be scrunched up a little when installed. Density is different between brands, best to get oem when possible.

@Ashful I think you were thinking backwards!

@Stelcom66 Our local ACE hardware has good gaskets. Better than on Amazon. My stove takes 1/2" and the ACE hardware ones are about 5/8" The Midwest hearth brand on amazon measure about 7/16" Both advertised as 1/2".

Yeah, sorry guys. Was working late and not thinking. 1/2" becomes 7/16" when stretching!

Amazon

Screenshot_20230925-141457_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Unfortunately like many other things these days, looks like I'd have to order it online. I guess it would make sense to order a long length as shown by @Woodsplitter67 to have enough on hand for a while. If there was 1/2" at the store I would have got that, there was only 3/8" and 5/8". What's in the stove now is definitely better than what I replaced. Not quite time to start the stove yet.