New member introduction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Overworked

Dec 4, 2023
SoCal
Hello from Julian, California! I recently moved up into the mountains of Julian and "inherited" a Vermont Castings WinterWarm catalytic stove insert.
I have read through the forums and suffice to say, I'm stuck with it for this winter. On the upside, this house was a basically a summer home and the stove is in really great shape. I had to pull the door, fix the bent hinges, re-rope the door seals, spend a lot of time "adjusting/grinding the door latch, and now I can make it "limp along" with a defective damper. The damper retainer is, well, not retaining. I can only open the damper 1/2" at the full open position of the lever. Can anyone tell me if removing the back damper plate is just a remove-3-bolts affair? Is it really that easy or am I missing something?Whether the damper lever fell off the retainer or the retainer is broken , I believe this is what I need to repair. I have new flue plate gasket rope and cement on (back) order because I am guessing that this is a onetime use gasket(s) on this stove. ANY help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Sign me: Overworked

Reactions: Heat Maxx
Hello from Julian, California! I recently moved up into the mountains of Julian and "inherited" a Vermont Castings WinterWarm catalytic stove insert.
I have read through the forums and suffice to say, I'm stuck with it for this winter. On the upside, this house was a basically a summer home and the stove is in really great shape. I had to pull the door, fix the bent hinges, re-rope the door seals, spend a lot of time "adjusting/grinding the door latch, and now I can make it "limp along" with a defective damper. The damper retainer is, well, not retaining. I can only open the damper 1/2" at the full open position of the lever. Can anyone tell me if removing the back damper plate is just a remove-3-bolts affair? Is it really that easy or am I missing something?Whether the damper lever fell off the retainer or the retainer is broken , I believe this is what I need to repair. I have new flue plate gasket rope and cement on (back) order because I am guessing that this is a onetime use gasket(s) on this stove. ANY help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Sign me: Overworked

So you can most likely just remove the stovepipe and put your hand in the damper housing.. if your having an issue with the rod most likely you dont have to remove the bolts.. just work the rod back into place with the damper partially open. if the damper it partially open there is no pressure on it.. it will just slide back in its hole..

Welcome aboard

Thank you for your reply, WoodSplitter! However, as it is a fireplace insert and not a free-standing stove, that simple inspection becomes problematic for me. I have tried using an inspection mirror and flashlight through the damper but, to no avail. Maybe I should try again with different lighting...

And, thanks for the blessing Heat Maxx, I can use all the blessings I can get:)

Reactions: Heat Maxx
Thank you for your reply, WoodSplitter! However, as it is a fireplace insert and not a free-standing stove, that simple inspection becomes problematic for me. I have tried using an inspection mirror and flashlight through the damper but, to no avail. Maybe I should try again with different lighting...

And, thanks for the blessing Heat Maxx, I can use all the blessings I can get:)

Your probably goingnto need to slide this out

Not the answer I want to hear as "somebody" laid in a very nice slate stone hearth after it was installed that effectively locks it in. ???
Yeah, some people just don't think ahead.

Not the answer I want to hear as "somebody" laid in a very nice slate stone hearth after it was installed that effectively locks it in. ???
Yeah, some people just don't think ahead.

Thats not how it should work.. The fireplace and hearth were built before the insert was installed.. I haven't seen your install.. Look your stove up on like and download the manual.. This will show you how it was installed.. also maintenance.. take a picture of how is installed.. post it here for us to take a look at

I have no idea how your insert is made. On my VC stove the damper has 2 round castings at the bottom that ride against the back of the stove. There are 2 flat metal pieces retained by bolts that hold pressure on the bottom of the damper round castings to hold the damper in place. I have found those pieces of metal to bend from the pressure and allow the damper to slip. On mine the damper lever activates a bent rod that is retained to the back of the damper and also can come out of position. Don't know if this makes sense or applies to your insert. I can remove my back adapter and look right at it but I can also see some of it through the stove with a mirror.

Here's a picture of what I have.

P1000327.JPG