Dutchwest 2462XL install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SLASHnBurn

Sep 20, 2011
Berkshires
Hi All - This is my first post. I just purchased a barely used 2004 Dutchwest 2462XL to heat my 2300 sq. ft. house located on the edge of the Berkshires in upstate
NY. The house is half post and beam 1870's, and half stick frame 1970's. Mostly one story, with about 350 sq.ft second story with a bed and bath. Insulation is not great. Most of the windows are old school, non insulated, but have storms.

So, I am about to do my first stove install. My XL does not have the optional bottom or rear heat shields. I have some nice big slabs of 3/4" thick Penn. black slate that I want to use under the stove and on the back wall. There are no side wall, or corner clearance issues. I know the R value of slate is minimal. I am looking for advice on what I should put under the slate to protect my combustible pine floor? As well as back wall between the slate and the Sheet rock.

I am planning to go straight out the back of the stove, and thru the wall using a Metalbest thimble, double wall black pipe, into 8'' insulated Metalbest SS chimney.
It is a pretty flat low roof above the stove and I don't want to encourage leaks, so I felt out the wall and up to be the best option.

I am really hoping that this will be my primary source of heat as I was slammed with propane costs last winter. If any of you might offer any insight
into my best path I would be very grateful.

Thanks!

Mark

Personally, I'd do a raised hearth with heavy gauge steel studs and insulate with rockwool between the stud spaces. Use wonderboard for the top and sides. Then I'd lay tile on top of that. Look around. This is a fairly common install on this site.

Also, can you obtain rear heat shields for this stove. I have no clue what the rear clearance would be without, but I can bet it's quite high. A long horizontal run might make it difficult to get good draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.