Dutchwest 2478 flue temp?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Leckbass

Sep 22, 2017
NJ
I've been using my dutchwest 2478 for about 4 years. It's never given me many problems until this week. My normal routine is to build a fire around 4:30 in the afternoon with a half load of wood plus some kindling. After the stove gets good and hot. I reload the stove until full and wait till the flue temperature hit 600, when it hits 600, I closed the bypass, and adjust the air control accordingly. I always try to keep the flu temperature around 500.

On Thursday, I closed the bypass as normal, but the flue temperature kept on Rising and Rising to over 800. When I saw it Rising, I closed the air intake completely. I was getting nervous so I stuffed some aluminum foil in the air intake on the bottom back side of the stove.

This morning, the same thing happened. I closed the bypass at 600 and the flue temperature kept on Rising past eight hundred.

The inner top is less than one year old. All gaskets were changed this past summer.
Could it be an air leak somewhere? Could it be that it's so cold outside that the draft is stronger than normal? It was between 0 and 5 degrees both times this happened.

Sorry for the long thread, I appreciate your help.