Dutchwest crack- repair possible/worth it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jh6u

Hearth Supporter
Dec 19, 2006
We've got a 1991 vintage Dutchwest catalytic (Vermont Casting) 224 woodstove that has served us well. Investigating the reason for more smoke coming out the chimney than usual, I found that there's a crack going from the rear of the catalytic combustor mount all the way through to the damper mounting area. Worse yet, the plate is bowed upwards ~1/4", such that the damper no longer sits flush, explaining the smoke. Is this worth attempting to fix? Otherwise, the stove has served us well for 16 years! I'll attach a photo, showing the 6" mount for the catalytic combustor for scale.
Our local dealer is long-gone. I put a call into a more remote dealer, but haven't gotten a quote or even estimate of whether this is feasible.
Thanks
Jay

Attachments

• DutchwestCrack.jpg
    DutchwestCrack.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 302
Jay get a hold of discount stoves to price out the parts. I have never worked ona DutchWest so I can't help you from past experience.
I may be able to get hold of a service manual detailing what is involved work and effort wise. Seaken might be able to help It does not hurt to PM him

I would think that the amount of work involved you would end up rebuilding the stove This could be good, as a decent rebuild may render many
more productive years out of that stove . You are right 16 years is pretty good without any major repairs I suspect that once the crack or plate warped it increased the damage.

That would be a tough crack to weld because:
#1 of where it is located
#2 the diameter of the hole has been opened and the steel is stressed so even if welded the hole size is now going to be different.

What it would take to add filler and fix the crack and spacer the hole would/could end up being the same or more than the replacement part and that does not guarantee the part will stay fixed.

and no .......... JB weld wont work.

Roospike said:
That would be a tough crack to weld because:
#1 of where it is located
#2 the diameter of the hole has been opened and the steel is stressed so even if welded the hole size is now going to be different.

What it would take to add filler and fix the crack and spacer the hole would/could end up being the same or more than the replacement part and that does not guarantee the part will stay fixed.

and no .......... JB weld wont work.

LOL, Awe cmon JB is a fixall LOL. Or just "gooky" it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.