Dutchwest Fountain Assembly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Defiant

Vermont Castings Geek
Hearth Supporter
Dec 5, 2007
Old Lyme CT
Has anyone had any experience or can point me in the right direction on how to replace the fountain assembly. I did one on an Encore last year just wondering if it is relatively the same. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Joe

Same parts, essentially. If you changed it on an Everburn Encore, you'll have no problem changing it on a an Everburn Dutchwest.

I've done this on a Dutchwest 2478 before, I'll check back if you have any questions.

Hi, I just removed my fountain assembly yesterday. Good thing I did, it just crumbled in my hands. I've gotten prices from 461.00 all the way to 179.00 (aftermarket?). It was clogged in the upper part so there was no way to see it. I guess the learning curve on these stoves is vertical. But I still like it, even if it gives me fits. Just want to thank everyone at heart.com, this place has been a blessing to me. Anyways, my 2478 is now in pieces in my living room, ready to be rebuilt once I get the new fountain and all the gaskets. I was going to go down to the Iron House in Hyannis today but had to watch the 4 year old. I really wanted to bend the VC's rep's ear but, maybe next time.

firelite said:
Hi, I just removed my fountain assembly yesterday. Good thing I did, it just crumbled in my hands. I've gotten prices from 461.00 all the way to 179.00 (aftermarket?). It was clogged in the upper part so there was no way to see it. I guess the learning curve on these stoves is vertical. But I still like it, even if it gives me fits. Just want to thank everyone at heart.com, this place has been a blessing to me. Anyways, my 2478 is now in pieces in my living room, ready to be rebuilt once I get the new fountain and all the gaskets. I was going to go down to the Iron House in Hyannis today but had to watch the 4 year old. I really wanted to bend the VC's rep's ear but, maybe next time.

Welcome to the forum firelite! Where in Mass. are you located?

Ray

just a few towns over from you, in East Bridgewater, on Robbins pond. Thanks for the welcome. I'm a relatively new burner (about 5 years) and I have a lot to learn. That's why I'm here.

firelite said:
just a few towns over from you, in East Bridgewater, on Robbins pond. Thanks for the welcome. I'm a relatively new burner (about 5 years) and I have a lot to learn. That's why I'm here.

Have 2 daughters going to Bridgewater State right now.. You came to the right place to learn about burning etc.. Lots of good ppl here..

Ray

I've got three under 7, so I'm pretty busy. Just got my first delivery of split today, and my second botle of Aleve. Got a lot of chunks to split from the storm, plus a couple nice silver birch to take dwn for a friend, gotta love free wood!

firelite said:
I've got three under 7, so I'm pretty busy. Just got my first delivery of split today, and my second botle of Aleve. Got a lot of chunks to split from the storm, plus a couple nice silver birch to take dwn for a friend, gotta love free wood!

I know how that feels we raised 5 kids, the youngest is 14 now.. Have the granddaughter here overnight she is 2 1/2 and a million questions lol.. I assume you have a Jotul F600 based on your name.. If you have any pics and info on your setup post them here we love pics!! :)

Ray

Actually, I have a 6 year-old Dutchwest medium noncat I got down at Iron House in Hyannis. It's the first wood stove I've ever had and I have mixed feelings toward it. Not the greatest set-up, but it functions reasonably well, under the tightest of conditions. I'd love to investigate a better burning, more forgiving stove with reburn system but I fear that they're pretty much all designed roughly the same. I'm teaching the oldest how to respect woodburning and hard work, a monumental task. Names Nick, by the way.

firelite said:
Actually, I have a 6 year-old Dutchwest medium noncat I got down at Iron House in Hyannis. It's the first wood stove I've ever had and I have mixed feelings toward it. Not the greatest set-up, but it functions reasonably well, under the tightest of conditions. I'd love to investigate a better burning, more forgiving stove with reburn system but I fear that they're pretty much all designed roughly the same. I'm teaching the oldest how to respect woodburning and hard work, a monumental task. Names Nick, by the way.

Nick,
The DW is a difficult stove to operate from what I hear here to put it nicely however it's the exception rather than the rule.. The T-5 we just installed couldn't be any easier to operate and secondary burns just seem to happen (like I know what I am doing).. I ran a Consolidated Dutchwest(aka CDW) large convection (the same size as yours) for over 20 years BUT it was a cat stove.. If you'd bought a DW cat stove we wouldn't be having this conversation as they work much better than the non-cat version you have.. Research here and you will find loads of threads about your stove so it isn't you it's the stove..The vast majority of stoves made today work as advertised and burn cleanly and efficiently as long as you burn dry wood.. Nothing is more important then properly seasoned firewood.. If you need advice let us know the details on your home (size, how well insulated, stove location within your home, etc.) .. Another thing that is important is a clean chimney and it's best if you have an insulated liner or class A chimney for best draft.. Bottom line here is don't judge wood burning based on your stove as it has a bad reputation from just about anyone here that has one.. Both cat and non-cats work very well today so let us know how you want to heat your home..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.