Dutchwest Large Cat fireplace installation. Merry Christmas! Pics.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VCBurner

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2010
Templeton, MA
I would like to ask the knowlegeable forum members for some ideas.

I want to place my Dutchwest catalytic stove in my livingroom fireplace.

It would replace a 1936 Atlanta Stove Works Box #27 that is currently installed.

I need to shorten the stove to make the vent pipe clear the openning of the fireplace.
Stove dimensions: 25 3/4" wide x 30" high (same as vent pipe height) x 16" deep
Fireplace Dimensions: 32" wide x 26 3/8" high

My goal is to put the stove just slightly into the fireplace by about 2.5". This will allow me to still use the side loading door. Which is much easier to use than the smaller front loading door. This would mean that the front of the stove would stick out about 13.5". The current hearth is only 19".

So far I've come up with two problems: shortenning the stove and extending the hearth.

The manual mentions that the stove can be installed as a fireplace insert without the legs but only if the fireplace sits on a noncombustible floor such as unpainted concrete on top of earth. In my case it would be sitting too close to some floor joists for me to comfortably place it down with no legs. They also sell 2" legs as opposed to the standard 6" legs. These legs would lower the hight of the stove to 26" allowing the height clearance needed.

They state in the manual that fireplace installations with the standard legs and the bottom heat shield must have a floor protector of at least 1/4" non asbestos mineral board or equivalent, or 24 guage sheet metal that may be covered with a decorative noncombustible material. They do not state clearances with the 2" legs in place of the 6" legs.

My idea was to rip out the current hearth and extend it to meet the required side and front floor clearance. Basically it's 16" all around the stove except the back which will be inside the fireplace. I would have to extend it by 10" all around to make it esthetically ok and to meet clearance. I thought about placing 20 guage sheet metal over any part of the hearth that may come to sit on top of the floor joists, then covering it with 1/2" durock and tyle over it. This exceeds the required clearances with the standard legs. It would also make it a flush hearth which is my goal.

Does anyone have ideas?

Attachments

• 116.jpg
    116.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 805
  • 117.jpg
    117.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 812
No one has any input on hearths today? I guess I must have stumped all you experts out there. Or did I just cover all bases? Maybe this was too long winded a thread. Let's see if this will go anywhere. I'm really curious if anyone has this stove set up in a fireplace. How about the short legs, does anyone have them? What kind of hearth or floor protection do you have? Do the clearance requirements change if the short 2" legs are used instead of the 6" legs?

Nice balloons :)

I am always a proponent of putting the stove where you spend time. I can not comment on the required clearance with the short legs though. Does the Dutch offer a bottom heat shield like the Intrepid does?

VCBurner said:
Does anyone have ideas?

Okay, since the A team is unavailable, here comes the C team! ;)

I'm a newb, but have done some research I'll share with you. Hopefully someone will interject if I lead you astray.

From an article on this very site: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/wood_stove_clearances_installing_it_safely

Size: Floor Protection shall extend to at least 18” from all sides of the appliance.

Construction: The basic floor protection specified by NFPA applies to stoves with legs over 6” in height. This means that the floor of the stove combustion chamber should be at least this height above the floor surface. The standard calls for:
1. Closely spaced 2” thick masonry units (brick or cinderblock/patio block.
2. Top cover of 24 gauge sheet metal.

For stoves with legs from 2” to 6” in height, the standard calls for:
1. Hollow 4” blocks set on their side so that the ventilated spaces line up horizontally. The ends should remain open for proper flow of cooling air.
2. Top cover of 24 gauge sheet metal.

Of course, you could use thicker cinderblocks such as 6” or standard 8” if you desire to place the stove higher for easier loading and servicing.

It is this writers opinion that unlisted stoves with very short legs are dangerous and every effort should be made to extending the height of the firebox above the floor. Possible methods include the purchasing of longer cast legs, single bricks under each leg or other similar method. Always remember that maximum air circulation under the stove is the goal.

So it looks like the requirement for unlisted stoves with legs from 2" to 6" is the same. If it were me, I would meet that requirement and not gamble on less. I'm not sure how the 4" bricks would fit into your height requirement--maybe you'd have to notch your joists and recess them into the floor? Regardless, make sure the holes in the bricks line up, and are unblocked on the ends.

HTH. BTW, the "balloons" comment was amusingly inappropriate, lol.

Thanks for the reply gents.
Does the Dutch offer a bottom heat shield like the Intrepid does?

Yes, and plan on using one in this case. The balloons are part of my sons birthday decorations. I figured they would put smiles on some hearth readers.

Thanks RenovationGeorge for the info also. I hope that the dealer where I may purchase the short legs and bottom shield can shed some light on approved hearths for this stove with the short legs.

VCBurner said:
Thanks for the reply gents.
Does the Dutch offer a bottom heat shield like the Intrepid does?

Yes, and plan on using one in this case. The balloons are part of my sons birthday decorations. I figured they would put smiles on some hearth readers.

Thanks RenovationGeorge for the info also. I hope that the dealer where I may purchase the short legs and bottom shield can shed some light on approved hearths for this stove with the short legs.

The stove is currently at 450°F. With the bottom heat shield on the intrepid AND the short leg kit installed the hearth below is currently 81 °F.

Thanks Browning, maybe I'd be safe with the plan I had consided! The Dutch also has an ash pan that sits under the firebox as well as the convection air inlets that are covered when one uses the blower. So the entire bottom of the firebox is nowhere near exposed. It is all double wall except the left side loading door. I am going to pick up some green and black slate as well as durock from my father-in-law tomorrow. That will be the material for the hearth extention. I'll still check with the dealer that sells the bottom shield and legs to make sure my idea is going to pass code.

VCBurner said:
Thanks Browning, maybe I'd be safe with the plan I had consided! The Dutch also has an ash pan that sits under the firebox as well as the convection air inlets that are covered when one uses the blower. So the entire bottom of the firebox is nowhere near exposed. It is all double wall except the left side loading door. I am going to pick up some green and black slate as well as durock from my father-in-law tomorrow. That will be the material for the hearth extention. I'll still check with the dealer that sells the bottom shield and legs to make sure my idea is going to pass code.

The intrepid is now running at 600° and the hearth directly underneath the stove is still at 81°. Some spots are 78°.

Thanks again Browning,

I'll send pictures when the project is all done if it goes through. I can't see any reasons not to do it though. I think having it in the livingroom would be much more convenient.

VC - I had mine installed without the legs inside my fireplace as an insert. I always wondered why the external blower didnt work that well. It really worked soooo much better as a freestanding stove.

wood-fan-atic said:
VC - I had mine installed without the legs inside my fireplace as an insert. I always wondered why the external blower didnt work that well. It really worked soooo much better as a freestanding stove.
I hear you, I wouldn't want to have it as an insert. I dont think it would perform as well as it was intended to as a freestanding stove. I would have it standing on the hearth with only about 2" of the rear sticking into the fireplace. That way, I can still use the side door to load the stove.

Ive used a CDW EX large for 15 years and the floor doesn't get very hot with the ash pan and convection air intake on the bottom of the stove .
I had a german short hair pointer (hound dog) that would lay under the stove all winter and she never lit up .
I installed the stove for a friend in his fire box last year and it work OK because of the convection vent is on the bottom & front .
We just cut the leg with a hack saw and grounded them even . John

I got the stove in the livingroom and it is loaded for an overnight burn. When I lit the stove, the thermostat in the hallway just outside this room said 65 °F ! Two hours later, it says 72 °F !! I'm very happy to have this stove in the room where I spend the most time. Especially since it seems to be able to heat the house just fine from that location. :) I'll send some pictures tomorrow. But for now I've got to hit the hay.

VCBurner said:
I got the stove in the livingroom and it is loaded for an overnight burn. When I lit the stove, the thermostat in the hallway just outside this room said 65 °F ! Two hours later, it says 72 °F !! I'm very happy to have this stove in the room where I spend the most time. Especially since it seems to be able to heat the house just fine from that location. :) I'll send some pictures tomorrow. But for now I've got to hit the hay.

Awesome, you will love having all that heat upstairs vs getting the leftover heat after the concrete has been heated!

Awesome, you will love having all that heat upstairs vs getting the leftover heat after the concrete has been heated!

You're right cert. the heat is much better harvested this way. I remember last year the snow was surrounding the house and after all the heat from the concrete went outside the snow would melt away more so than when there was no fire. Even though, it's harder to spread the heat throughout the house due to the lack of open floor. I have to use fans. But I see I'm going to use a lot less wood. Plus watching the fire is a big plus!

Where are the pictures? I don't know if I believe you? ;-)

Hello Todd,
I posted some on another thread too! But I should have posted them here. The short legs are going to be delivered by Santa. For now she sits on 2" concrete pavers. The fit was tight, I only had 1/2 inch between the top of the stove and the lental in the fireplace. There are 3" on each side. Just enough to get a firepoker back there to change from high ot low if it's needed. We usually like it on low because of the noise factor. Once the legs are here the install will look more professional! I also have to touch up the stove's cement seams that have turned gray with some stove paint. It also needs some dusting. All-in-all it looks pretty good. I still have some 1/4 inch grey slate that is going around the hearth extention.

P.S.: I forgot to mention, you can see the dark spot on the glass next to the handle edge. I have to tighten the handle and that will go away.

P.S. 2: I wish I could have a visible thermometer on the connector because this stove gets really hot in that spot during light off. I like to keep a close eye on the flue temps!

Edit 3: Thanks Certified for the link to the highjacked thread!

Attachments

• 052.jpg
    052.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 510
  • 062.jpg
    062.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 495
  • 068.jpg
    068.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 480
  • 069.jpg
    069.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 508
The stove definitely looks like it was designed to fit that fireplace and looks great. I am envious of the clean glass as the older stoves don't have air wash on the glass. I just noticed the kettle on your stove and we have the same one on ours. How many times a day do you have to fill it up? We are around 2 or 3 fill ups a day right now and I still feel like i need a humidifier sometimes.

Hey Cert.

I only have to fill mine once a day. I think my cat needs to be replaced. Once it's replaced the stovetop temp will be much higher. I hear you on the humidifier. I feel like Spongebob on the episode where he goes to Sandy's house. WATER!!

I just cleaned the ashes out of the stove today. This is only the second time since November 30th. I haulled three ashpans outside to the ash bucket. The coal bed was so big and there were so many ashes in it that it was starting to spill out of the side door. 24/7 burning except one 50 °F day we let the fire go out during the day. I can't wait to put those short legs under it!

Attachments

• Dutchwest 2461 xmass.jpg
    Dutchwest 2461 xmass.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 725
Good news! I just got the short legs from my inlaws last night. Installed them this morning while the stove was a little cooler, 11 hours after the last load. It looks a lot better than when it was sitting on the pavers.
I'll take some pics tomorrow!

Boys won their indoor soccer championship, Patriots beat the Bears, Christmas cookies were made, it was a great weekend!
Oh! I almost forgot. I also made Master of fire status! :p

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

Here's a pic with a roaring full firebox (it looks better with the short legs!) and one of the Christmas tree. The coffee cup warming up on top and my little guy's slippers warming up in front of it. I wish everyone a happy holiday!!

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 205
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 182
Status
Not open for further replies.