Dutchwest question, thoughts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick H

Hearth Supporter
Nov 8, 2009
Northern NM
Hey all, new to the forum, but not to wood stoves.
I've been using the Dutchwest 2461 for about 10 years, and I love it.
I have a question concerning the combustor. I've replaced the combustor 3 times now, and the air distributor twice. I just replaced the combustor, distributor, and catalytic probe thermometer. The thermometer I bought this time is a Condar unit, with a 1 5/8" probe, which is slightly longer than the old one. Now, I can't seem to keep the temp. below 1800-2000* for the first while.
It never read this hot with the old thermo, but I think it's not just the new thermometer, I think it's been running hot for years. The distributor I just replaced is completely melted/ blown out. The last one I replaced several years ago was almost as bad. The combustor I just pulled out only lasted for a season and a half. The on before that lasted ~3 seasons. The baffle under the combustor completely glows orange, and actually shows signs of melting and cracking. Last night I ran the stove with the combustor air closed completely, and the primary air almost closed to try and keep the combustor temp down. Even with a small amount of wood, the combustor runs 1800-2000*+, and the baffle glows.
Thoughts? Experiences?
Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long winded post.

Could be that the longer probe is giving you a higher reading? I think they are suppose to be about an inch away from the cat? Also sounds like you could have an air leak somewhere, check your door gaskets and stove seams.

I had a DW EX Large its would be 15+ years old now .
It sounds like your secondary air port is not adjusted properly.
My stove had a small hole with a slide door on the side of the unit across from the damper handle .
You could adjust the catalytic burn rate by opening the air intake .
I would close my damper at about 500o and the stove would shoot up to 800 in after burn mode then adjust the air until the thermometer would stay around1400o i think , it been a few years . I burned 24/7 for 14 years and replaced my cat 3 times and the probe twice.
My problems started when my wife or son left the ash pan door open and over fired the stove.
my damper was warped and would jiggle the combustor when it was closed , all it would take is a slammed damper to crack my cat .
You mite check the gaskets on the doors . If i closed the air on my stove tight the fire would go out .
I would have bought a new DW cat but i wanted more heating capacity for a new addition i have planed for the house. John

Todd said:
Could be that the longer probe is giving you a higher reading? I think they are suppose to be about an inch away from the cat? Also sounds like you could have an air leak somewhere, check your door gaskets and stove seams.
What he said

Todd said:

Oh I'm sure of it. I can't find anywhere that says exactly how long the probe should be. Either way, it's getting too hot.
Gaskets are good. Side door and damper gaskets replaced last spring. I'm not sure the combustor baffle should get hot enough to glow.

Status
Not open for further replies.