Dutchwest Wear Plate Material?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
I visited a dealer today who carried VC stoves and Dutchwest by VC. I was there to look at the refractory assemblies in the VC stoves I read about and to look at the Dutchwest stoves.

The opposite door sides had a flat piece of what looked like refractory. Back to my desk and pc, I upload the Dutchwest stove parts list and they show these flat pieces as "wear plates". They looked like they were made of the same refractory material as the refractory assemblies on the VC stoves.

Anyone know what this material is made of and how delicate or prone to breaking as the VC refractory material?

By the way the DW was a non-cat model.

Thanks!
Bill

"The opposite door"?

When I open my side door to reload and throw a longer stick than usual in it usually bounces off the steel plate bolted to the far side (inside the cast). I've been bouncing sticks off it for 15 years now. There is no refractory material in my stove other than that covering the catalyst. I cannot speak to the newest versions of these stoves, nor the non-cat versions.

Far side of the door is what I should have said vs opposite side.

Also noticed from the brochures, the cat version looks to be a little more decorative in that the stove surface has some texture and ribs.

Not sure why the cat uses an 8" flue, but the non-cat uses a 6" flue - they are the same btu output.

Thanks!
Bill

leeave96 said:
Far side of the door is what I should have said vs opposite side.

Also noticed from the brochures, the cat version looks to be a little more decorative in that the stove surface has some texture and ribs.

Not sure why the cat uses an 8" flue, but the non-cat uses a 6" flue - they are the same btu output.

Thanks!
Bill

Your looking at the Xtra large model? Non-cat? If so, I have no experience with the non-cat version, so can't address any pros/cons. What I can tell you is I'll never have a stove that is not equipped with a catalyst. :zip:

No - I am considering a cat version. The store had a non-cat version. The extra large cat is what has peaked my interest.

Thanks,
Bill

leeave96 said:
No - I am considering a cat version. The store had a non-cat version. The extra large cat is what has peaked my interest.

Thanks,
Bill

I hope you've got a huge area to heat. My DW small is almost too much for my 1900 sq.ft two story house during all except the coldest days. It;s been an amazing little stove, a bit finicky to figure out but once you get there it becomes second nature. :coolsmirk:

I don't think the extra large cat is as large of a stove as it's description would make me believe. It's max output is 55,00 btus - same as a Woodstock Fireview. BTW, the Fireview is high on my list of stoves to consider as is the Blaze King.

I want a cat stove, I'd like a front and side door, ash pan and something a little easier on the eyes the a plane steel plate stove. The Dutchwest cat stoves seem to fill the bill. This stove will be a basement install and heat from it will be channeled to a goodly bit of the house. I'm very interested in long, low burns - almost like a wood furnance. I don't want to be running from stove to stove (I have a Keystone in the upstairs) all day. I'd like to load it and forget it for a goodly number of hours, hence the desire for the extra large firebox. Also, when the temperatures plunge, I want to crank out some serious heat too.

I kind of like the looks of the Dutchwest cat stoves too and the price is right.

Thanks,
Bill

leeave96 said:
I don't think the extra large cat is as large of a stove as it's description would make me believe. It's max output is 55,00 btus - same as a Woodstock Fireview. BTW, the Fireview is high on my list of stoves to consider as is the Blaze King.

I want a cat stove, I'd like a front and side door, ash pan and something a little easier on the eyes the a plane steel plate stove. The Dutchwest cat stoves seem to fill the bill. This stove will be a basement install and heat from it will be channeled to a goodly bit of the house. I'm very interested in long, low burns - almost like a wood furnance. I don't want to be running from stove to stove (I have a Keystone in the upstairs) all day. I'd like to load it and forget it for a goodly number of hours, hence the desire for the extra large firebox. Also, when the temperatures plunge, I want to crank out some serious heat too.

I kind of like the looks of the Dutchwest cat stoves too and the price is right.

Thanks,
Bill

Long low burns (without a lot of tending)='s BK Princess/King IMHO. Mebbe Alderlea T6/PE Summit with their long burn technology. With the DW small I'm at the stove every 2-3 hrs. through the day and evenings putting on few small splits (maintaining 500-600* Cat temps). Bedtime I fill it, turn it to it's lowest air openings, get up 6-7 hrs. later, open it up, half fill with smaller splits wait 20-30 mins., add a few splits, close damper/primary air and repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.