DV gas to pellet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

knight0017

Feb 8, 2015
MD
Hello I'm new to this site. I am purchasing a new home with a direct vent propane fireplace. I'm interested in converting it to a pellet stove. Is this possible/easy/efficient? I can't find a lot of info about it online or YouTube! The home is 2600 square feet. The stove would go in the family room on first floor. It is an open floor plan. I want the stove as a backup to augment my propane furnace. It would only be used to heat the first floor during the day.

Who is the manufacturer of the DV unit?
Is it horizontally vented or vertically?
Is it set IN the wall or bumped into the room?
Can you post some pix of your set up?

Haven't bought the house yet. All I know is that it is horizontally vented and is set in the wall with a bump out on the outside of the house.

OK. It'll take a 2-man crew about 4 hours to remove the gas unit.
The amount of work ($$$$) to install a pellet unit will be dependent
upon what unit you choose to put in there.
A pellet insert can be installed in the opening if it's deep enough to
receive the ZC required installation box. Your interior finish might
be untouched if you choose that route.
A free standing pellet stove will require an alcove to be built inside
the exterior bump out & that is a whole different critter.

Hello I'm new to this site. I am purchasing a new home with a direct vent propane fireplace. I'm interested in converting it to a pellet stove. Is this possible/easy/efficient? I can't find a lot of info about it online or YouTube! The home is 2600 square feet. The stove would go in the family room on first floor. It is an open floor plan. I want the stove as a backup to augment my propane furnace. It would only be used to heat the first floor during the day.
We had the exact same situation as you. Propane dv fireplace in first floor great room with bump out and replaced it with harman p35i. Best thing we ever did. Keeps downstairs of our 2200 sq ft house at 70 easily and comfy. Installers even used existing hole on outside so installation went pretty easy

We are in southern MD and used R&D cross out of Upper Marlboro. I wouldn't think they would travel out to Frederick but im sure there are quality dealers in your area. We vented the pellet stove horizontally right through the same hole that the gas fireplace vented out of. They just had to change out all of the pipes to meet the pellet requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.