Dwyer magnehelic gauge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JRemington

Minister of Fire
Nov 4, 2017
Belleville New York
Hi everyone. My name is Jeff and I found this site. I have a 5505 B gauge we just purchased for testing water column inch pressure for pellet stove. Some stoves have a small round Port to install a testing rod but the tube on this meter is much to large. Is anyone here familiar with this gauge? Thank you.

I'm sorry. The magnehelic gauge is a Dwyer model 2300 2-0-2. It has a 9 ft rubber hose with a 3/16 steel tube. I'm unsure how to use it correctly to set the draft on pellet stoves.

I don't think the size of the "Stove to Hose" connection matters. As long as the connection nipple "Feels" the stoves vacuum.

The gauge measures differential pressure between the stove (firebox) and ambient (room).

I could be wrong.

On my gauge (a Dyer Mk II) I pull off the stove connection hose and zero it out with adjusting knob. Re-connect it to take reading.
My Enviro M-55 manual wants a reading of .15 - .17 inches of water column. After running at heat level 5 for 1 hour.
Adjust using Damper adjustment on Left side of firebox. I set mine with Air trim and Fuel feed trim at mid point (level 3)
My hose connection is on the right side of my ash pan 1/8" diameter put there by Enviro.
I connect the hose using a 1/8" brass hose nipple.
---Nailer---

Thanks. My gauge has two ports. One says high pressure and the other says low pressure. The incrimints are not in tenths, just in whole numbers, which would be very hard to adjust to .15 accurately. I'm wondering if the low pressure Port should read in tenths. Btw you have a nice stove. We carry Enviro stoves. Would drilling a small hole in the exhaust pipe accomplish the same thing?

Thanks. My gauge has two ports. One says high pressure and the other says low pressure. The incrimints are not in tenths, just in whole numbers, which would be very hard to adjust to .15 accurately. I'm wondering if the low pressure Port should read in tenths. Btw you have a nice stove. We carry Enviro stoves. Would drilling a small hole in the exhaust pipe accomplish the same thing?

I don't think you want to drill the exhaust pipe unless you want to measure exhaust DP (Differential Pressure) What I think they call Stack pressure.

I think you want to measure the DP in the firebox (ie. before the exhaust blower). While it is operating at stabilized max heat output.

My gauge also has two ports....I leave one open as the "Ambient" source.
The other is where I connect the hose to the stove.

Thanks about the M55 stove I love mine and it has been a workhorse with no problems for 5 yrs now. I have a 900sf converted single story cottage and it heats my entire living area easily. Is it too large of a stove Hell Yes!! but I usually run it on heat level 3 most of the winter. I have it on a Lux thermostat so it is time controlled for my schedule. I run it in Hi/Low mode all winter to save the igniter.
---Nailer---

Maybe you can help me a little on something else. Three years ago we opened a business selling wood and coal stoves. Last year New York State started a program giving people 1500 to 2500 off the cost of a pellet stove if they recycled an inefficient wood or pellet. stove. We have sold more than 100 since last December so I've gotten a crash coarse on them. Anyways, yesterday a customer came in that got an M55 cast and 15 bags of pellets later the convection fan stopped working. I've never tore one down nor do I have a repair manual. I've got to pull the fan and put power to it to see if it's the fan or something else. Have you been into yours to know the easiest way to get to the convection fan and get it out?

Easy to get at with a few simple tools.

Pull back cover by removing the 4-6 torx screws.
Open hopper fill plate on top and remove the 2 bolts that hold the hinge.
The entire cast top will lift off.
On the top of the cast right side there will be two exposed 1/2" bolt heads. Loosen (don't remove) them.
The right side cast cover will lift up and off.
This exposes the convection blower, the agitator assembly, and the main board. (Check fuses)
(FYI) The left cover comes off just as easily to expose the Exhaust blower.
If removing convection blower mark the electrical connections and remove the hold down bolt. Cant remember if there is on on the left side as well.
The blower will slide out on the right side of stove. It is a long squirrel cage blower about 14" long and 3" in diameter.

IIRC there was a Enviro convection blower upgrade several years ago. Your customer may have one of the old ones.
The upgrade had to due with stove over temp issues and the new blower ran faster (and a bit louder) to remove heat from the stove.

Good Luck
---Nailer---

What I found on that unit under applications. Pellet stoves exhausts are double hulled. I would not be drilling holes in it.
  • Paint booths
  • Air velocity measurement
  • Air filter guage