DYI Pellet Stove Install Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bond1973

Nov 18, 2008
Weare, NH
Howdy...I recently purchased a Heatilator Eco-Choice Cab50 which I intend to install myself. Today was supposed to have been install day, but I ran into a problem. The exhaust outlet on my stove is so low to the floor that coming straight out of it gets too close to my baseboard heater. The pipe would clear it, but it's too close to allow room for the thimble. Wondering what my options are. Obviously I could raise it a bit, but then at have to buy or build a suitable riser. I think I am more interested in piping options, if any. I bought a 3" stove pipe kit from Lowes for this. I also grabbed a 45 degree pipe (this is a corner install) and what is supposedly an adjustable foot length of pipe. Any thoughts or pics as to what I could do about this issue?

Thanks
Rick

do an "up and out" installation. the vent kit will have enough pipe to go up 3 ft if needed to get out. just would have the tee indoors but folks do taht in basement installations all the time. mine is indoors since im going into a chimney

Thought about that...would put clean out in living room, which if I must then I'll live though would prefer it outside. I don't know what is bad to do with piping. Is it ok to come out of stove with a 90 degree bend, go up a couple feet, 90 out the side of house then either stop and cap or out house and up a few feet?

if I recall, the more elbows you have, the bigger the pipe you will need. Are you using 3" or 4"

What about going out the back of the stove with a 3 " appliance adapter, then to a T, then a 90 and then straight out horizontally through the wall ? Or, if you can live with it, yank out the baseboard heater that's in your way. One thing to keep in mind also is that if you are going to use all those fittings, make sure calculate your EVL (equivalent vent length). If it exceeds a certain number (whatever the manufacturer says - check the manual ) of feet you might have to go up to 4" pipe.

-chopper

Currently using a 3" pipe kit. Will check out the evl .

Chopper....your idea would probably work...this is, again, where I just don't know what's ok and not ok to do with bends and vertical...If not something I already mentioned I thought about appliance adapter to T up two or three feet inside then 90 out the wall. I think there's a minimum vertical per number of 90's as well...back to the documentation...

Inferno....is yours basement or living area? Assuming your basement isn't livable area...

The forum members names are in blue directly above the word inferno that you read.

I did an install for my neighbor with a similar situation. I cut the bottom few inches off of the thimble and re bent the bottom so it had a lip like the other three sides. Then was able to go straight out. Im not a big fan of having a cleanout t in house if not necessary. It was very easy to cut with a pair of tin snips ans came out mint.

Just as a general rule of thumb, the verticle rise of your exhaust system MUST exceed the horizontal distance. The more angles in the horizontal, the greater the verticle pipe. I have a 2' horizontal, so that equated to a 3' rise. I had to add a 45 degree angle to the horizontal, so I increased my verticle to 4'. There are all kinds of formulas to calculate the proper draft, but if you stick to verticle exceeding horizontal, it usually works.

Bkins said:
The forum members names are in blue directly above the word inferno that you read.

Haha. Oops....got the others right. Thanks.

Kykel....it's so close that I wouldn't have much thimble left but thanks for the input. Waterbug...will keep that general rule of thumb in mind I all this...thank you all for your suggestions and input. Still not sure which I'll do. Oh I did want to ask, Stoveguy2esw...is your install in say the living area or was it a basement install with the clean out I the house? I fear how accessible it'll be.

Just to update...I spoke with a contributor to this thread as well as the stove shop I bought my stove from. I was told that most installs they do put the cleanout in the house. Suggested appliance adapter off stove, cleanout T off that at a 45 degree angle, another 45 angle to bring me back to a straight vertical shot, up the wall a few feet, 90 degree and straight through the wall and cap it 12 or more inches away from house. Thanks all for the input. Once my hearth arrives (hopefully any day now) I will be putting it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.