Dying Batteries

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lohnorris

Jan 12, 2019
Hi, I am hoping someone can help me. I have a Mendota D40 running on propane. The batteries in the receiver are constantly needing to be changed, about every 3 months. We don't even use the fireplace very much as it is in a vacation rental which is only occupied on the weekends. Has anyone else seen this problem? Is it a known problem with these receivers? Or do I have a bad receiver? Any help or advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Check for any corrosion that might be making poor connections at the batteries.

I'd use some fine sandpaper to clean the springs that touch the batteries and hope that might correct the problem.

You can also use a multimeter to measure the voltage on those spring connectors to see what the receiver is actually getting when the batteries are new and the voltage the receiver is getting when it quits working.