1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Ear protection.

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by RORY12553, Nov 11, 2013.

1. BCC_Burner

BCC_Burner Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Wasatch Front: 7800'
    I don't use a sledge and wedge. If a round is that stubborn I drill a plug out of the center and jam a quarter stick in there. Depending on the variety of wood, I either end up with a few splits of a month's worth of kindling.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ohlongarm

ohlongarm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    Not enough decibels generated to damage hearing splitting manual,with an engine always,and don't forget eye protection splitting manually,or with an engine.
  3. AmarilloSlim

AmarilloSlim Member

Hand tools=no motors=no. Engines=normally yes.
  4. BIGDADDY

BIGDADDY Feeling the Heat

No but it won't hurt too.
  5. Paulywalnut

Paulywalnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    WHAT? That is my profession. Constant noise,not necessarily loud can also be damaging.
    Splitting by hand should not be a problem. Anything more than 80 decibels or repeated noise
    You should wear ear protection. Jet plane engines, chainsaws, screaming babies in that order:)
  6. Soundchasm

Soundchasm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Dayton, OH
    I love hearing protection primarily for how much better I can concentrate when I'm using it. I'll call it something that enhances productivity.

Hearing damage is akin to radiation exposure. It's the quantity of the dose over a quantity of time - high dose short time, low dose long time.

I can also pass a lie detector test with my belief about noise fatigue. Playing loud music in bars with heavy hitting drummers is the worst. Aspiring guitarists are in second place. If I'm in that pickle (and I resemble the second case), I'll use earplugs for the third set. The result is I'm fresh as a daisy when we stop because I haven't been beaten to death by the noise. I can organize and load gear as if I just had my second cup of coffee. And then I hear inexplicable noises on the way home like crickets, faucets dripping and appliance motors running ! Who knew??

In my book, more hearing protection is better. Plane flights, long drives with Dad, you get the drift. It's a wonderful strategy for not getting frustrated when a conversation isn't give and take. I'm able to nod at appropriate moments, and then escape to daydreaming until some event requires real interaction.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
    Bluezx636 likes this.