Early 1910s to 1920s Coal Fireplace Stove/Insert Options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dabomb6608

Oct 31, 2018
Marion, IL
Hello,

I live in a home build sometime between 1910 and 1920 that has a old coal fireplace. There is a chute leading to a ash removal door in the basement. (Of which was blocked by a room built in the basement)

I plan to have the Chimney inspected to see what options I have for liner or a 6" flue to be installed. The chimney is pretty large but I believe it will be a tight fit at the gap with the back slant towards the room.

I will attach a quick draft of the fireplace with dimensions.

I was hoping something like the H2100 Wood Insert from Regency would fit but it is 28" wide and the opening of my fireplace is 24" wide. Unless a spacer of sorts could be used. But then my hearth distance to the hardwood floor becomes a issue.

Another option I have looked at, but am not sold on the appearance just yet is a free standing wood stove recessed into the opening. Are there any decent sized (BTU/Square Footage) stoves that will fit the opening?

I've looked at some Jotul units like the F 3 CB. That would be a very tight fit I think, if it fit at all. The small unit Jotul sells would fit for sure but its heating ability isn't that great.

The house is Basement/Main Floor. Unfinished basement (mostly) and about 2125sq feet on the main floor. Its not a very efficient and well insulated home. And the gas boiler/radiator system is a older (80s maybe) 250,000 BTU in/200,000 BTU out unit. During the coldest winter months I see anywhere from 400-500 gas bills.

My honest goals with this would be as a supplement heat source to reduce gas bills. And also as a appearance piece. I've always loved fireplaces and after visiting a friends home with a wood stove last weekend it got my brain turning about the old coal fireplace in my house.

Here are some pictures as well.

Fireplace.jpg IMG_0890.JPG IMG_0891.JPG IMG_0892.JPG

Attachments

• Fireplace.pdf
    7.3 KB · Views: 124