Early season question for stone lovers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
I am making the assumption that when I start burning this fall I want to do the same as when the stove was new, a couple of low fires to drive out moisture.

What sayeth the experts?;)

fv

Yeah, a couple small break in fires won't hurt. There may be some moisture in the stone left from that Summer humidity.

I'll have a small fire in about a month. Pop the windows open at night...get a fire going. It should be cooling down nicely at night within the next 4 to 5 weeks. I don't know if it would hurt a stove to go right into a hot fire or not, but if you start early enough in the fall, you won't have the need for a huge fire anyways.

Reactions: fox9988
Every year we do the small fire thing. Helps satisfy the need to burn even when the need for heat is small. Burns off the dust too.

Yep, a small fire or two isn't a bad idea. Firebrick can also pick up moisture. And x2 on the dust. I don't care how well you clean that stovetop it will still smell of burning dust the first time you fire it up.

Stepping outside today is like walking into a blast furnace. Can't even think about starting a fire any time soon.

Here's to hoping for cooler days ahead!

Lows in the 50s here this weekend. I won't be burning but it's coming.

fv

I am making the assumption that when I start burning this fall I want to do the same as when the stove was new, a couple of low fires to drive out moisture.

What sayeth the experts?;)

fv

I don't believe you'll find anything in the Woodstock literature stating that you have to do this. We've never worried about it nor will we. One thing you can keep in mind is that when you begin burning wood this fall, it will not be like it is the middle of January. So that means you won't have that hot of a fire.

Will it hurt to do a couple break-in type fires? Absolutely not. Is it necessary? In some stoves it is, but not not in all. As for me and my house, we did the break-in fires in 2007 and that was the end of that.

Reactions: fireview2788
I don't believe you'll find anything in the Woodstock literature stating that you have to do this. We've never worried about it nor will we. One thing you can keep in mind is that when you begin burning wood this fall, it will not be like it is the middle of January. So that means you won't have that hot of a fire.

Will it hurt to do a couple break-in type fires? Absolutely not. Is it necessary? In some stoves it is, but not not in all. As for me and my house, we did the break-in fires in 2007 and that was the end of that.

My break in fire will be a normal fire just not more than 12 hours. I'll let it die out overnight. Now that I have 2 stoves, I can experiment in the offseason of burning the stove in the location that will not transfer as much heat to my workspace. This is going to be fun.

The first firing of the stove is usually on one of those cooler rainy days where it makes the place feel cold. Last year I got a small fire going and added small amounts of wood to it keeping the stove warm for a whyle .im not sure how long it takes moisture to be removed from the stone but with an above average humidity I feel like its necessary . After this hot summer It's hard to imagine needing heat right now.

Heatwise, I don't know if they still do but Hearthstone used to require it annually.

Status
Not open for further replies.