Earth contact house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crazy_dan

Dec 26, 2007
Missouri
I was just wondering if anybody has an earth contact house. I am thinking about building a 3 side earth contact house 40'X60'. It would be dug in to the point that it would have 3 full concrete sides then the roof eves would be about 1' - 1.5' off the ground. the exposed part of the house would have an additional 15' for a fully enclosed porch with a line of double pane windows the entire length of the porch. so the total box/shell would be 55'x60'.

Anybody that has an earth contact is their anything special I should take into consideration?

Hi Crazy Dan, I have found great joy in reading about a project which is just as you describe.

Ourcoolhouse.com lists all of the details. It is a fantastic site and very relevant to your project. I wish I could find more websites like it.

I live in a earth-berm house. Bought it about 3 years ago. We like it alot.
Suggestions I would offer:
Make sure your drainage is good.
Insulate the foundation well.
Skylights are necessary for the back (undergrade) rooms.
The "sunporch" is great, ours runs about 50' long and will heat up to 80 deg on a sunny cold day.
Double check the south exposure roof overhang for your latitude, the right length will give you solar heating in the winter with little solar gain in the summer.

Have heard in passing, but no major details on it, that one needs to be careful, in at least some parts of the country, to make sure there are precautions taken to prevent problems with radon and other potentially problematic soil gasses.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.