Earth Stove air intake

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

owen

Jun 12, 2008
ND
I have an earth stove from the early 80's that is still going strong. I am interested in modifying the air intake in order to either draw air from another room or to draw outside air directly into the stove. Has anyone ever attempted this or have any suggestions on methods of accomplishing this? Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

There were a few different models of The Earth Stove made, which model do you have? Have you got the manual for the stove? It would most likely have at least a clue as too where the outside air kit was to be attached. Most of the older earth stoves were designed with outside air inlets so they could be used in mobile homes. I would only consider drawing air from outside though, I can't see what you would gain from pulling combustion air from another room. What are you trying to accomplish?

the other room thing would try to move the heat around the house without the use of a fan. Or so that is what I'm thinking the intent was.
My old earth stove had no outside air hook ups and no concessions for one that I am aware of

crazy_dan said:
My old earth stove had no outside air hook ups and no concessions for one that I am aware of

Many of them had an adapter that would attach to the air inlet of the draft control system. If the stove was approved to be installed in a mobile home, you can bet there was an adapter made for it to draw air from outside. The ID plate will specify whether it was approved for mobile home installation.

Finding the kit would be near impossible, but it was most likely just a metal box over the air intake inlet that would allow you to attach the draft air inlet to the air piped in from outside. I'm not sure that I would go to the trouble of doing that with this stove if it is a pre-epa stove though. If the stove is not functioning properly, I believe I would be hunting a newer stove. If the stove is an epa approved stove, and the OP has sealed the house tighter it might be worth the trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.