Earth Stove MP35/50 Burning issue.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EarthStove

Jan 15, 2009
Northern MD
Hello everyone. Been reading the forum for a few months and trying to gather as much info as I can to help with some issues we are having with our almost 12 year old Earth Stove MP35/50.

The unit is what is called a natural flame. The pellets are fed from the bottom into a burn pot that is opened on both sides. The combustion air is fed all along this channel into the pellets.

The stove has two combustion blower settings Low and High. We have always kept it on high. The feed rate is either low, medium or high. And of course a draft fan/feed switch.

About two years ago I noticed that we were having too frequent problems with lazy flames and poor combustion. Also having to clean out our burn pot every 3 or so days. When the unit was new we only cleaned it out once every 7 days or so.

I really give this thing a good cleaning on the inside at least several times a year. The flu has been cleaned by me along with the heat exchanger tubes and just about every other part on the inside of the stove that I could think of.

The problem has gotten so bad now that after running about 6 or 7 hours the pellets start to build up on the left and right hand side. I have noticed though this year that the pellet ash is some times creating this sponge like material that just sits between the burn pot and the drop off into the ash pan, kinda creating a blockage if you will. If I clear this by hand sometimes the problem will go away. However, I think this is a different issue with the same problem kind of deal. The combustion holes all appear to be clean and unobstructed most of the holes are 3/8" or greater in diameter. Clinkers are rarely a problem with this stove.

When I built this house I installed the stove myself. I have 4" pipe direct vented right to the outside of the house, got about 18 to 20" out away from the house and it's just capped off. The stove is pulling air directly from the room as well. I don't believe either of these are the problem however since the stove worked very well for many years.

I don't see any other adjustments on the stove for fed rate or anything like that. I have opened up the combustion damper as wide as it can go too. I tore the back of the stove off for the first time this year and cleaned the heck out of all the blowers and other components and this really had no effect (although I do believe my room blower is blowing a bit harder now but it's hard to tell.

In years past we have pretty much burned Lignetics...This year we are burning Pennwood and Patriot Pellets (One is a softwood and the other hardwood) It does not really seem to matter which is burning...same end result.

Oh and I have replaced the door gasket since the old one was going on about 5 years old.

I am getting ready to chuck this thing now and go with an LP stove but funds are tight and would love to get it working the way it used too.

I think that about covers it. Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you.

I have had an Earthstove TP400 i think. I have the same setup that you have explained. The most important things to keep in mind for these stoves is keep them clean in which you have explained you have done.

I burn hardwood pellets only in my stove. I currently use Hammer Hot Pellets which burn very hot and have little fine ash. Do not have any black buildup on the glass even on an overnight run which is every night in the winter.

You must keep the inside clean weekly. Clean the inside, brush in between the heating tubes on the top of the stove and you should be fine. Like you said you are doing this. Are you cleaning in between the heating tubes on the inside top part of the stove? I use a paint brush and alot of ash usually comes falling down.

I would say try using a different pellet other then the ones you have. Hardwood has been key for me. I use to use NE pellets or Energex and they both made my stove dirty and alot of klinkers.........

Hope this helps?

Yes, I have cleaned between the heat exchangers. I use a dust pan brush (small one) to get in between the tubes etc.

Do you notice your pellets start to slow burn after a period of time? How long can you run on high before this becomes an issue (if it does at all)?

Seems like the earth stove folks here don't get much love. LOL :)

As i've noticed with lower grade pellets you would get some backup as on both ends of the firepot......as ours is'nt a pot, it feeds the pellets from the middle and they push to each sides. I do have alittle ash buildup from an overnight fire on medium. But the fire i still nice and not with clean glass.

Hammer Hot Ones have been the best pellet i've burned since 2000 without a doubt.

We shut the stove down yesterday...Cleaned it inside really good. I opened up the top venting port and cleaned that area real good too (it was not that dirty). We ran from 9pm last night til now on high..Almost 2 bags full. The right side of the "fire pot" has started to build up again with stuff.

I found a place that has lignetics so I am going to try them out since we are about out of the others. I can't find those Hammer Hot Ones anywhere near were I am :(

I noticed last night when we cleaned that we had lots of blackened partially burned pellets in the ash tray... More ash then those things, but quite a bit none the less.

You burned almost 2 full bags from 9 last night till say 10 AM today? That seems to me like lot of pellets to go though in say 12 hours or so. If i was to start my Earthstove at 9 PM last night and run it on medium i would only go through about 1 bag if that. If i was to have my setting on high starting at 9 PM last night i would use alittle over 1 bag but no way close to two bags?

On my stove i have a low/med/high flow setting for pellet feed and the same for venting fan. My venting fan is set to med always.

Only red flag i've seen so far is the amount of feed rate you have going there to use 2 bags of pellets!

I put a bag in at 9pm. It was half gone by 2am when I filled it up again. My wife woke up this morning and put the other half of the bag in at 9:30am. I thought the manual said that on the high fed setting it would burn 1 bag per 8 hours (approx.) Keep in mind that we have not finished the other half of that second bag...

I would suggest looking around at hardwod pellets in your area and try them out. Hammer Hot Ones have not been available in my area since this past fall so you might not see them. Look into this forum and read up on reviews of ash content/best heat output.

Good Luck!!

Have you ever tried burning corn in your setup with the rear exhaust? It says in the manual to only burn corn if you use the top venting. Also I believe that another fire pot is needed along with a different auger spacer?

BTW, Just picked up a ton of Lignetics. We ran last night constant on high and did not really have the ash problem and slow burn issue. Inceidently the Patriot pellets I was running where said to be 100% hardwood...They had a light color to them and smelled like oak. The lignetics say hardwood and conifer mix. So far so good. Won't know for sure until I do another complete clean out and get all the combustion air holes cleared again.

I never tried burning corn. My manual stated there is no need to change anything if you mix 50/50 with pellets/corn. You need to be careful with corn in view of there moisture content. I never felt the need to try it so i could'nt tell you if there is any benefits.

My exhaust is vented from the top direct vented out and straight up past my second floor roofline. To bad the company no longer exists. This stove is solid and in about two or so years i'll be needing to have my fire pot reconstructed in view of general wear of heat....

I just picked up 4 bags of Corinth Hardwood pellets from a local store.....there from Maine and burn very nice.......little ash and very hot heat output.

I cleaned the stove out two days ago since I had burned the other pellets in it WITH the lignetics. I was having similar problems. I cleaned up the fire pot (it had huge clinkers stuck on the front side and the bottom). Since cleaning everything once again we have not had any spongy ash buildup and the flame has been perfect for two days now running mostly on high. So it appears that most of the issue is pellet related. Shame because these patriot pellets claimed to be all hardwood.

Our burn pot is distorted on the backside where the two air holes are closest to the feed area. I was thinking of trying to find a new burn pot (thinking that the pot was the problem I was having).

I think your getting it now. The two main problems with pellet stoves is keeping your stove clean & finding the best burning pellet. Like i said before. I've tried about 10 different brands. Hammer Hot Ones have been the best burn/heat output i've had. I'm sure there are as good if not better pellets out there. Thats why i purchase different hardwood pellets to see.

We have basically used Lignetics for the past 8 years or so...When we couldn't get them this year we had no choice. Next year I will buy early again. BTW, a lot more fines this year in the lignetics pellets, but there is hardly any ash with these guys, unlike the other two pellets we burned this winter the Pennwood and Patriot.

There are fines in every bag of pellets......some have more......some have less......

I'm not sure if your going to have any luck finding parts for the stove. There's not much out there for Earthstoves.......

Have you ever tried to clean out the ash bin while the stove is running?

Yes........what i usually do is plan ahead. Turn the feed rate down to low and give it time to cycle to the minimum pellet feed inside. Once this is done i would set the air feed to off so that when i open the door nothing comes out (smoke) Once this is done i will wait till the low feed is just complete and will open the door.......i usually use a dedicated butter knife.......yes butter knife........to clear any buildup on each side of the burn trench since we don't have burn 'pots' which is one reason i bought this stove. Okay getting back to the cleaning......once i clear the trench i go back and clear each side of the bottom of the stove where the ash usually falls down from the trench. Usually brush it to the back of the stove with the knife. Also i clean the glass after that. Usually takes me all of 1 minute to do that. Planning ahead such as turning the feed rate down helps alot since the stove, at the low setting is not crazy hot to work with.....

Hope that all makes sense!

Sure does. I planned to try doing that. We usually shut it down to clean because that is what the manual says to do, but I am feeling adventurous and it would be nice to not have to start everything back up...Use less gel etc.

BTW, since going back to lignetics...HUGE difference in performance. I am getting ready to clean after 3 days but the flame still looks fine but I can tell the ash pot is getting full.

For a new burn pot you might want to try calling Lenox, I heard they still are making some parts including the burn pots for some of these models.

Thanks for the info - i will be looking this summer for a replacement for sure.....

Most important things to remember before doing the quick clean.

A. Turn the stove down to low and let stove cool down to be more friendly

b. Wait till pellet feed stops its cycle so you have 4 minutes

C. Turn off fan so when you open the door nothing comes out.

D. Be carefull

Most important thing to remember is keeping a clean stove & finding a good quality pellet that runs best in your stove. Good to hear your having better luck with the pellets now!! Good Job!!

Three days between cleanups when running high is likely too long, when I open the ash door the ash dumps out onto the tile. I may try to do this once per day and see how it looks.

Thanks for the help.

Yes i would imagine 3 days set on high would need daily cleaning for sure.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. Once we got into the lignetics pellets most problems went away. I have never had the stove apart for cleaning...I do however remove the back sides and clean everything out including the fan fins with a compressor. This past season I really cleaned it up good. I really could not see the benefit of removing the fans at least when I look back there after the sides are removed...

We are going to have the vent pipe taken all the way up past the roof of the house this year..I hope that we won't have issues with blow back when we have 50mph winds like we used too once this is completed. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.