Easiest way to split 24" to 36" rounds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have shag bark hickory and Norway maple rounds.

The maple might be good for the sledge and wedge technique, but the hickory is so sinewy even if i split it it would be really difficult to pry apart.

Ill be probably trying this weekend.

Find a "prince" of a firewood guy / gal, get on his/ her good side (recommend him / her, pay him / her on time then you get a good deal ... you know :) ), and have him /her deliver it already split.

"All' you have to do is stack it :p

Find a "prince" of a firewood guy / gal, get on his/ her good side (recommend him / her, pay him / her on time then you get a good deal ... you know :) ), and have him /her deliver it already split.

"All' you have to do is stack it :p

Lol I needed trees cut down!

BTW I haven't found that prince yet around here. They are all hiding...

My Prince has a son, with a tree business :cool:

I do my 48" stuff this way....

Reactions: Soundchasm
I wasn't gonna derail the thread over equipment, but I guess since you asked about the "easiest way".....
Log lift with work table.
big3sm.jpg

Reactions: Ashful
Yeah um I don't do this for a living lol, just a guy trying to build a nice stack! :)
Me neither. If I sold wood it would have to be at $600 per cord or no deal.;)

Well I split a lot of big hickory rounds today. If they were 32 inches or so in diameter and round I would lug them onto the splitter. The best way to do it was to split a side, have a hatchet to cut the sinewy stuff on the opposite side of the split, and turn it around split and hatchet again. It wasn't too bad.

I put a larger one on the splitter and it was a nightmare. Took me half an hour to split it in half flipping it everywhere. I noodled my first log today after the nightmare, I didn't do that well with it but my saw is only 17" to the very end of the bar. Used my two mauls to split it in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.