East coast boy ready for the cold

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ctcarl

Feeling the Heat
Jan 4, 2014
Connecticut
So for the past week it have been turning my baby up for a few hours in the moring.well last night in low 40s and tonight .so keeping her on all night set at 3 on stove temp.from my experience I'm not a fan of room temp.stove seems to get more ashy and dnt want the wear the life on my igniter .always keep my feed rate at 4.using my stove chow bags and hope they get me till the real cold.witch IMO will be fist or second week of nov.then I break out my platinum green team witch burns hot as hell:)Also took a ride the the pricey LLbean and got me some flannel linning jeans and a thick sweater for taking the dog for his walk.So far oil is off:)Let it snow lol

Ive had mine on thermostat for 3 weeks now. I'm half way through bag #5.

With the big swings in tempature I have holding off lighting up the stove. The box store pellets burn best at higher feed rates. I don't understand why cheap pellets are used in the so called shoulder season. It sounds like more mess to clean up to me. I have never used stove temp on the Accentra. That could solve the problem. The house has huge solar gain on sunny days and the oil heat runs once or twice at night only. Any suggestions on getting a bit of heat without overheating the place and wasting pellets?

With the big swings in tempature I have holding off lighting up the stove. The box store pellets burn best at higher feed rates. I don't understand why cheap pellets are used in the so called shoulder season. It sounds like more mess to clean up to me. I have never used stove temp on the Accentra. That could solve the problem. The house has huge solar gain on sunny days and the oil heat runs once or twice at night only. Any suggestions on getting a bit of heat without overheating the place and wasting pellets?

Run your stove on a thermostat. You will be able to maintain a set temperature and only burn what is needed to keep it there.

So for the past week it have been turning my baby up for a few hours in the moring.well last night in low 40s and tonight .so keeping her on all night set at 3 on stove temp.from my experience I'm not a fan of room temp.stove seems to get more ashy and dnt want the wear the life on my igniter .always keep my feed rate at 4.using my stove chow bags and hope they get me till the real cold.witch IMO will be fist or second week of nov.then I break out my platinum green team witch burns hot as hell:)Also took a ride the the pricey LLbean and got me some flannel linning jeans and a thick sweater for taking the dog for his walk.So far oil is off:)Let it snow lol
When I was a kid I loved winter and snow. I'm not a kid anymore, retiring in a couple of weeks actually. Now I hate winter and snow. Period, it's costly, it's cold, snow as well as ice is an irritation and hazard now. The fact of the matter is winter can be brutal and I will use every feature of my Harman pellet stove to off set that, including the igniter.. I've had my stove on since Friday afternoon, it's come on and off countless times now ( stopped counting) and my dining room has been 72 degrees since the house came up to temp Friday after turning the stove on. Yesterday afternoon was 57 deg, this morning is 37, the dining room has been 72 through out by way of auto ignition and room temp probe in the pellet stove. Mid winter I will switch to manual shutting the igniter off because I won't need it then except on cleaning days.

When I was a kid I loved winter and snow. I'm not a kid anymore, retiring in a couple of weeks actually. Now I hate winter and snow. Period, it's costly, it's cold, snow as well as ice is an irritation and hazard now. The fact of the matter is winter can be brutal and I will use every feature of my Harman pellet stove to off set that, including the igniter.. I've had my stove on since Friday afternoon, it's come on and off countless times now ( stopped counting) and my dining room has been 72 degrees since the house came up to temp Friday after turning the stove on. Yesterday afternoon was 57 deg, this morning is 37, the dining room has been 72 through out by way of auto ignition and room temp probe in the pellet stove. Mid winter I will switch to manual shutting the igniter off because I won't need it then except on cleaning days.

THe igniter is there to use but yes it is a wear item. So are the ones in my kitchen stoves and I use those.

Congrats on retiring soon:)

Actually at the rate I have been using and in stove mode I only been through 2 and a half bags.thats not bad for for 2 weeks of taking out the chill in a cold house:)

Actually at the rate I have been using and in stove mode I only been through 2 and a half bags.thats not bad for for 2 weeks of taking out the chill in a cold house:)

is your house insulated well? i'm in CT and the lowest i've seen my house so far is 64 degrees which was the other night.

is your house insulated well? i'm in CT and the lowest i've seen my house so far is 64 degrees which was the other night.
thats sounds about right 64 or 66 with nothing going.it's insulated not the best.the house is from the 50s .i just put new Anderson 70 series windows in.im have faith that that will help this year wear before it was the old windows with weights that would leak cold air like a ac.For me 66 is good it's my wife that complains and wants it at 70.

Status
Not open for further replies.