Eastern Hemlock: Good firewood or no?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ThisStoveIsOnFire

Sep 22, 2022
NH
I live on 5 acres of woods, most of it eastern hemlock. I had to fell some hemlocks this summer, was planning on getting them milled but didn't end up happening.

I'm wondering if it's worth the effort to split/season it to use as firewood. I'm hesitant to burn softwoods just because I know traditionally they have a bad rep, and I do have a cat in my stove stove, which I don't want to plug up with excessive creosote. At the same time I would hate for all the wood to go to waste.

I'm assuming regardless this wood would be more suitable for during the day/shoulder season burns, right? Since it burns quick and hot.

If it's properly dry, and free, it's great firewood.

And cats love creosote; it's their food. As long as the cat is active (hot enough) when engaged, it'll do fine.

The folklore that sappy softwoods are bad to burn is wrong - as long as it's properly dried.

Softwoods are great for the shoulder season and warmer winter days. Just make sure they are fully dry. An added bonus is most softwoods split in the spring will be ready to burn that winter.