Eastern Hophornbeam

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I would like to get this down if possible it's in a area that I would like to work, any ideas?

zap

Attachments

• 100_1312.jpg
    100_1312.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 415
Wait for a good wind storm?

SolarAndWood said:
Wait for a good wind storm?

HehHeh . . . that's my method on some of the hangers I have in the woods . . . those trees that don't drop to the ground like I planned . . . if I can't get them down I wait them out and hope for either a good windstorm or a winter with heavy snowfall . . . now to those who might be concerned . . . I'm cutting in an area where no one else tends to go so it's not like someone could be walking through the area and have the tree land on them unexpectedly.

Looks like that might be simple to pull down. There doesn't seem to be much of a hinge holding it up there. Is it low enough that you could tie some sort of weight to a rope and throw over it then hook to a truck/winch/tractor and give it a good yank?

firefighterjake said:
hope for either a good windstorm or a winter with heavy snowfall

We tend to consistently have both. Doesn't ever seem worth it to mess with stuff like that as it will likely be on the ground by Spring at the latest anyway.

CountryBoy19 said:
Looks like that might be simple to pull down. There doesn't seem to be much of a hinge holding it up there. Is it low enough that you could tie some sort of weight to a rope and throw over it then hook to a truck/winch/tractor and give it a good yank?

I have a small anchor (15-20 lbs.) with about 100 feet of rope, the question is can I throw it up and around then pull down with the winch on the rhino. Hate to a the anchor hung up.

zap

zapny said:
I have a small anchor (15-20 lbs.) with about 100 feet of rope, the question is can I throw it up and around then pull down with the winch on the rhino. Hate to a the anchor hung up.

Listen, Hercules, if you can toss a 20 pound anchor that high, you need to be training for the Olympic hammer throw. :lol:

Seriously, no need to throw your shoulder out. Just find a heavy hex nut and tie a real long string to it. Tie that string to your rope. Toss the nut over the branch and grab it when it comes to the ground. Then just pull the string until the attached rope comes down to ground level and you in bidness. That's how I hang my food bag when I'm camping to keep the bears away from it.

Probably can pull that one down by hand, looks like its barely hanging on.

zapny said:
CountryBoy19 said:

zap

He's worried about getting the anchor hung up. :bug: Lets see those guns zap.

Battenkiller said:
zapny said:

Listen, Hercules, if you can toss a 20 pound anchor that high, you need to be training for the Olympic hammer throw. :lol:

Seriously, no need to throw your shoulder out. Just find a heavy hex nut and tie a real long string to it. Tie that string to your rope. Toss the nut over the branch and grab it when it comes to the ground. Then just pull the string until the attached rope comes down to ground level and you in bidness. That's how I hang my food bag when I'm camping to keep the bears away from it.

Probably can pull that one down by hand, looks like its barely hanging on.

Yes, no need to toss something heavy. Use a smaller string to start with and a smaller weight. I would say about 1/4 lb weight would be plenty for a really small rope or heavy duty string.

I've used a fishing pole with very heavy test and a lead weight. Works well.

Thanks for the ideas, the old anchor rope hooked to the d-shackle should do the trick.

zap

Attachments

• dshackle.jpg
    dshackle.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 319
I think your going to end up disappointing yourself using those and the anchor rope.

Throwbag
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=884+ORG+12&catID=34

Throwline
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=D200+GRN+150&catID=34

Not saying you need to go out and purchase this stuff, but just putting it up here for weight and line type comparisons. The weight and line you toss up there doesn't need to be what is used to actually pull the hanger down. Once you get the throw line over attach the anchor rope to it with a loop and pull the loop over the hanger. Pull the loop down and thread the other end of the anchor rope through the loop then pull the loop taut to the tree.

bsearcey thanks for the info, I'll try with the stuff I already have and if that fails I will give Baileys or my local guy a call.

zap

Good luck. Like I said though, I wouldn't purchase that stuff for the few times you may use it. I'd personally go with a bank or pyramid sinker and some nylon string.

gzecc had a real good suggestion using the fishing pole.

How high would you say that is? Looks like 30' or more, but pictures can be deceiving.

bsearcey said:
Good luck. Like I said though, I wouldn't purchase that stuff for the few times you may use it. I'd personally go with a bank or pyramid sinker and some nylon string.

gzecc had a real good suggestion using the fishing pole.

How high would you say that is? Looks like 30' or more, but pictures can be deceiving.

I would say 15 - 20 feet. (EDIT) Make that 20-30.

zap

I would say 15 - 20 feet. (EDIT) Make that 20-30.[/quote]

In camp, I can make a 15' toss on the first try. A 30' toss may take a dozen or more. I use a cheap $5 aluminum carabiner, just because I always have several on hand for rescue purposes. The biner really flies through the air, and they really are quite useful things to have around. You can improvise a "Z-drag" pulley system with three of them, and that would be a nice thing to have in your arsenal of timber tricks.

Know anyone with a turkey or goose gun? 12 or 10 gauge, full choke, #2 or buckshot depending on how high up it is. Just be mindful of who's downrange when you decide where to shoot from.

I'm serious. It can get the job done safely and be a weird kinda fun, too. Just don't have any beer cans in the video camera view. You may see it on YouTube someday.

zapny said:
I would like to get this down if possible it's in a area that I would like to work, any ideas?

zap

LOL Dont do it!

smokinjay said:
zapny said:

zap

LOL Dont do it!

If things go well getting all the maple out tonight plus some stacked, I'll go back in and get the dead tree plus this Wednesday latest Thursday.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:

zap

LOL Dont do it!

If things go well getting all the maple out tonight plus some stacked, I'll go back in and get the dead tree plus this Wednesday latest Thursday.

zap

That thang in the pic, Looks like a bear trap waiting on a trigger!

zapny said:
CountryBoy19 said:

zap
Research "spud gun" on the net, zap. Or for a cleaner search, try "spud gun antenna launcher." This would separate out a lot of the nut cases. It's a big field. These little devices, often/usually pneumatic, will pull a string way higher than you'll ever need. String pulls rope, etc. Radio amateurs use these to get wire antennas waaaaay up in the trees for better reception. BTW you can control pressure and thus, height. This is much better than throw bags or even slingshot methods. Much over 20-30ft, it starts getting hard- but not with these things. Buy one relatively cheap or build your own out of (mainly) PVC pipe. BTW often a simple bicycle pump will suffice for pressurizing the chamber.

I like the 12ga idea!

Cluttermagnet said:
zapny said:
CountryBoy19 said:

zap
Research "spud gun" on the net, zap. Or for a cleaner search, try "spud gun antenna launcher." This would separate out a lot of the nut cases. It's a big field. These little devices, often/usually pneumatic, will pull a string way higher than you'll ever need. String pulls rope, etc. Radio amateurs use these to get wire antennas waaaaay up in the trees for better reception. BTW you can control pressure and thus, height. This is much better than throw bags or even slingshot methods. Much over 20-30ft, it starts getting hard- but not with these things. Buy one relatively cheap or build your own out of (mainly) PVC pipe. BTW often a simple bicycle pump will suffice for pressurizing the chamber.

http://www.antennalaunchers.com/antlaunching.html

I'll try the rope first.

zap

That's a pretty good link you found, zap. Good Q&A.

I have used the thrown weights and monofilament line many times. Good up to about 30ft. Beyond that, a Wrist Rocket slingshot is pretty good. But the spud guns look interesting.

quercus_kelloggii said:
I like the 12ga idea!
Anyone remember "Real Men Eat Quiche"? Ah, anyway, this satire's main punch line was that it is OK to eat quiche so long as you cradle your shotgun and chainsaw in your lap while eating. :lol:
Hooahh!

I like the black powder. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.